I hate Craigslist Lowballers...

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
Cashiers checks are the most faked item in banking, I wouldn't take one. A lot of people worry about currency activity reporting with cash but don't. Unless you are moving large cash sums in and out every day it never hits the radar, and don't try to structure deposits to avoid it, that's what draws the red flags for a civil asset forfeiture.

I've sold a couple vehicles for a few thousand, so cash wasn't 'an issue'. I'm going to be selling a truck soon for a lot more. What would be an acceptable payment type for a large sum on a private transaction?
If over 10k, wire transfer is safe and easily verifiable. In my experience, they take a day or two to go through, so not ideal for an instant transaction. Also, there will likely be a fee on one or both sides. My second choice would be cash. Last choice would be to meet them at their bank and watch them request a cashiers check. If you don't cash it at the bank that issued it, though, there will likely be a waiting period before you can use the funds. If they just bring a cashier's check, you must call the issuing bank and verify it unless you just trust the buyer. If this isn't possible, cash wins, as inconvenient as it is.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I’d rather have a cashiers check from somebody I trust than cash from somebody I think is sketchy. And if I was worried I’d meet him at his credit union and watch them print it. I still prefer that over cash.

I say that because I’ve unfortunately had counterfeit bills before but I’ve never had a counterfeit cashiers check. Do you guys use counterfeit markers to make sure you get legit bills? That sounds like a real fun activity with $18k worth of cash. If you’re lucky enough to never have encountered counterfeit bills before you may not know that when you go to deposit them the bank just takes them and you’re SOL. I had (4) 50’s that were fake and I just had to eat $200.

SnwMnkys

I don’t understand the cash thing? Like you’ll buy my item with money? Opposed to what? Or does $1 cash hold I higher value than $1 certified check or $1 wire transfer? Every time I’ve sold something high dollar and it’s cash payment it’s a pain in the ass to go to the bank have them count it all twice and then do a deposit. We living 2021 transfer that shit over and save us both a trip to the bank.

There's something irritating about people who say "cash in hand".

Even better when they show up and want to pay with Venmo.

Interesting. I've bought and sold a handful of vehicles for up to 30k in cash. I have not seen a counterfeit. The new 100s are pretty good. The counterfeit bills you found - was it obvious, or were they pretty good fakes?

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Interesting. I've bought and sold a handful of vehicles for up to 30k in cash. I've have not seen a counterfeit. The new 100s are pretty good. The counterfeit bills you found - was it obvious, or were they pretty good fakes?
I would’ve never been able to tell but the teller at my credit union knew immediately.

I got a cashiers check this morning, went to my credit union and deposited it and it’s done. I will always prefer that over tens of thousands in cash but to each their own of course.

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
I've sold a couple vehicles for a few thousand, so cash wasn't 'an issue'. I'm going to be selling a truck soon for a lot more. What would be an acceptable payment type for a large sum on a private transaction?
I still like cash, if you are worried about security or fake bills meet them at your bank and dont sign the title and give up the keys until the teller runs the cash. Someone mentioned a wire, someone is going to pay a fee to facilitate that transaction but it might be worth it. Cashiers checks aren't always bad, but I wouldn't take one from a stranger unless I was at the bank and watched them print it. You will get a collected funds hold on the amount over $2000 when you deposit it but unless you have immediate plans to use the money it's probably not a big deal.

Someone else mentioned that the new bills are pretty hard to fake. I can smell a fake bill like a fart in a car so I don't worry about that and I am armed all the time so I dont worry about security.

N-Smooth

I still like cash, if you are worried about security or fake bills meet them at your bank and dont sign the title and give up the keys until the teller runs the cash. Someone mentioned a wire, someone is going to pay a fee to facilitate that transaction but it might be worth it. Cashiers checks aren't always bad, but I wouldn't take one from a stranger unless I was at the bank and watched them print it. You will get a collected funds hold on the amount over $2000 when you deposit it but unless you have immediate plans to use the money it's probably not a big deal.

Someone else mentioned that the new bills are pretty hard to fake. I can smell a fake bill like a fart in a car so I don't worry about that and I am armed all the time so I dont worry about security.
So there was no hold on my $18k cashiers check today. I actually had the teller immediately apply the funds to pay off the #momcar

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
So there was no hold on my $18k cashiers check today. I actually had the teller immediately apply the funds to pay off the #momcar
It means the bank trusts you and you have a good track record and/or sufficient balances to cover the check. Congrats!

FYI, Im not talking out my ass, it's what i do for a living.

N-Smooth

It means the bank trusts you and you have a good track record and/or sufficient balances to cover the check. Congrats!

FYI, Im not talking out my ass, it's what i do for a living.
Thanks, I try hard.

I know you know your stuff. I have to take all of the banking compliance tests annually so I hear about the requirements but literally push it to the back of my mind because it does not apply to my job at all.

Troop92

I recently sold a newer vehicle - final sale price was just under $17k - and I met them at their bank and the banker handed me the cashier's check. Easy. I got my check, they got the keys, wife and I got takeout on the way home. 😂

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I guess I'm a jerk? If I've got a hard ceiling on something I'm looking for and I see one I like just above that ceiling, I'm not afraid to contact the seller and see what we can work out. If he doesn't want to go as low as I want him to then he can say so and neither of us has to waste time with him showing me the item.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
What's the scam (I assume it's a scam) where the "buyer" wants me to reply back to their personal email account?