Maldito's 88 4Runner

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Does anyone in Magna have the tool to remove the hub nut? I think it's supposed to be 52mm.

My caliper and rotors grenaded on my way home and I have no brakes. I am trying to perform overnight surgery on my beast because I was needing it for work tomorrow and to go camping afterwork...

Yup. I'll be up for a bit longer, PM me.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
No worries. I got the part from Kevin B. And I disassembled the hub and rotor but the hard brake lines are Damn well seized. So I am contemplating how to get them off while I eat lol

sixstringsteve

Those get stuck easily. Make sure you don't round it off. I've tried a ton of different tools to get those off. I have a HUGE crescent wrench (about 15" long) and it works really well on hardlines. If you end up rounding it off, a big pair of vice grips may be your only shot. Good luck man.

Are you replacing the rotor with a new one? On the solid axles, you have to tap the old bearing races out and press them in to the new rotor. Not sure if that's the case on the IFS rotors or not, it's been a while since I've been in there.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Yeah I used a vice grip and I was able to get the hard line off, I'm actually only on one side because I was at autozone for an hour trying to get my parts and right now I was reassembling it and I have the wrong freaking brake pads. They are too tall, they wont clear the new caliper. I did get new rotors and I did 'hammer' them into the hub or races, I dont know what they're called. Then I put in the bolts and started tightening them in a star shape pattern with the impact and that finished pressing them together.

Right now I just have to go back to autozone to get the correct pads, it's the only part holding me back from reassembling the passenger side, which is the one that just grenaded. And then I'll start on the driver side which should go much quicker now that I know what I am doing. I had never done this on a Toyota or a 4Runner for that matter, but I know enough to feel my way around the whole thing :)

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I checked online the part no. MKD410 and it matches online what I am supposed to have, but then I dont know why these are too tall, they're like 1/2" too tall and will not clear the caliper entrance.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Well I finished assembling both sides minus the brake pads about an hour ago. Guess that foiled my plans to drive it to work tomorrow. Hopefully I can get the right pads after work and still make it up to go camping.

Kevin B.

Things never go smooth when you need them to. Skip that autozone on 35th and take your old pads down to the guys at the o'reilly on 56th s, and if you still can't match them up bring them by my place and we'll take a look. You may have the smaller 4cyl calipers on there?

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

864runner

I know I'm your hero
The part number for the pads on my 86 4runner are MKD137. And if I remember correctly you do have a 22re in this right? I would just take your old pads into autozone and have them pull that part and compare them. I'm betting these will be the right ones and you should have no problem exchanging them. They are also $11 cheaper so that's a plus!

Last edited:

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Yeah I called O'Reilly and I am going go stop in during my lunch time to see what pads they have there. And I do have the 22re in there. The 3.0 is another 4runner that I have lol. Thanks for the part number, Eric right? I'll check those as well.

Kevin B.

Yeah I called O'Reilly and I am going go stop in during my lunch time to see what pads they have there. And I do have the 22re in there. The 3.0 is another 4runner that I have lol. Thanks for the part number, Eric right? I'll check those as well.

the calipers on the v6 trucks are slightly larger, so autotards are almost certainly giving you v6 pads. i hate that store, i flip them off every time i drive past on my way to o'reillys or napa. :D

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
That's the one I wanted to sell. I wanna keep the charcoal one even though it is powered by an asthmatic hamster.

864runner

I know I'm your hero
Yeah, it's Erik, If I was around town this weekend I would just get you the pads from my store since I work at autozone and bring them to you and get you taken care of, but I'm out of town so I hope you can get everything figured out!

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Yeah I was able to get the correct pads, it's the part number you mentioned. So thanks for that! I did make it out to go camp last night too. Now I am back in town. I'll post pictures later on :)

Thanks to everyone that helped!

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
So here's a few pictures of the messed up my brake failure lol....

8079741631_2b16a3847e_z.jpg

8079742667_56c7ff1c53_z.jpg

8079738714_b950ed3b57_z.jpg

8079746535_7ed3cc6492_z.jpg

8079741752_84165c8ddb_z.jpg

8084513786_015a8e0820_z.jpg