Project Hundy Build Thread - 2000 UZJ100 Land Cruiser

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
let's not forget the 2nd hardest install: the REAR floormats. They should have arrows marked "FRONT". hahahah

Hey, those are no joke. Next thing you know a Big Gulp gets spilled and the mats are not in place to protect. I had Cody, Dan & Jason back there for 5000 miles of Mexico... the floor looked like the ball pen of a Hardees :D

I can say without reservation that the Death Falc..Star is the most comfortably capable rig I've had the pleasure to pilot and ride in. With the addition of more power outlets, as per Kurt's KOH trip, I can't think of anything else it would really need. Any other upgrades would be very minor.

I'm thinking I'll do the power outlets next time I yank the dash which will likely be when I have the scratch for a new head unit.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
100 was on bike hauler duty this weekend in Moab, couldn't be happier. The seat heater did wonders on a sore body after a couple days of absolutely brutal trail riding (Sovereign, Salt Wash and Cliffhanger)

100_moab_bike.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Death Start Part #5 - All hands on deck!

By 9am Saturday morning it was game on. Help was arriving in masses and soon we had over a dozen pairs of hands at my disposal. Drawers were under construction at the hands of Scott and Devin meanwhile Ryan and Corey were rocking out the dual battery and winch wiring under the hood, Paul rocked out the assembly of the tracks for the roof rack and Darren and Dave helped Paul lift the new rack into position. While dodging the action, Jason and Chris were installing the step-sliders and side-rails. Stephen was installing the Landtank fan clutch. Between those items we are able to torque the front suspension and mount the front wheels. The Slee skid plates were the last item for the day, we had to make some quick mods to the belly skid to work with the ARB step-sliders and deal with a broken bolt in the frame.

Saturday Build Photos:

sat_1.jpg

Rear Drawer Construction & Install

sat_2.jpg

ARB Step & Side Rail Assembly

sat_3.JPG

Paul supervises the Eezi-Awn roof rack install

sat_4.jpg

Ryan & Cory rocking out the dual batteries and winch wiring

sat_5.jpg

The full crew overview

sat_6.JPG

Arms deep on the winch install

sat_7.JPG

Starting to take shape

sat_8.JPG

Rear cargo setup fleshing out

sat_9.jpg

Progress continues!

To Do List By End of Day 2 (Saturday 8AM - Sunday 2AM):

Inventory Parts
Break wheel lug nuts
Rear End on Jack Stands
Remove Rear Tires
Rear Stock Shocks & Coils Removed
Rear OME Suspension Installation
Rear Tires Mounted
Rear End Lowered & Rear Tires Torqued
Remove Front Bumper
LandTank Fan Clutch Installation
Front End on Jack Stands
Stock Skid Plate Removed
Stock Shocks Removed
Stock Torsion Bars Removed
OME Shocks & Torsion Bars Installed
Slee Diff Drop Kit Installed
OME Torsion Bars Adjusted
Front Tires Mounted
Front End Lowered & Front Tires Torqued
Stock Trans Cross Member Removed
Slee Skid Plates Installed
Install ARB Front Bumper
Warn Winch Installed in Bumper
IPF Lights on Bumper
Remove Stock Roof Rack
Remove Stock Rear Bumper
Install ARB Rear Bumper
Assemble & Install ARB Wheel Carrier
Assemble & Install ARB Jerry Can Holder
Rough Electrical to Rear
Rear 3rd Row Seats & Seatbelts Removed
Outback Drawer System Installed
Finalize ARB Fridge Wiring & Aux power outlets
Install ARB Fridge
Remove Stock Battery
Install Slee Dual Battery Tray
Install Optimas
National Luna Dual Battery System Installation
Remove Factory Running Boards
Install ARB Side Steps & Side Rails
Install Eezi-Awn Roof Rack
Safari Snorkel Installation
Helton Hot Shower System Installation

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Did I see you bust out "Gaant chart" earlier in the thread?

Engineers...:rolleyes::greg:

Yes, yes you did.

Tacoma even suggested I add a link for those clueless to my nerdiness. Funny thing is I am working on a vehicle build in Australia right now, I'm basically acting as a project manager aligning the owners wants/needs with the boots on the ground at several facilities in Aus. I've been marking all the needs and progress time tables with a Gaant chart, they too quickly realizeed my nerdiness :D

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Yes, yes you did.

Tacoma even suggested I add a link for those clueless to my nerdiness. Funny thing is I am working on a vehicle build in Australia right now, I'm basically acting as a project manager aligning the owners wants/needs with the boots on the ground at several facilities in Aus. I've been marking all the needs and progress time tables with a Gaant chart, they too quickly realizeed my nerdiness :D

Elaborate gaant charts are the norm at my work. :ugh:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Death Start Build Part #6 - Time to put this thing to bed and go to bed myself

Sunday was fairly low key, after burning the candle at both ends on both Friday and Saturday nights, we were hoping Sunday was going be a cakewalk. The main agenda items were finishing up the wiring to the rear fridge and auxiliary outlets in the rear drawer system as well as work on the Helton shower install. I recruited Cody to help me pull wire from the engine bay to the rear drawers. Cody did a fantastic job tucking it all under the trim and looming it from front to back, leaving a super clean look throughout the cab. We terminated the wiring within the side panels of the drawer system and utilized flush mount plugs for the ARB fridge plug, 12V accessory plugs and the dual USB plug as well. The location of the ARB fridge plug was dictated by the location of the fridge slide but the extra 12V and USB ports just made logistical sense. Not only do they serve the needs from the back of the truck but they are super easy to utilize by those in the 2nd row seating, eliminating cords running from the dash to the backseat.

The Helton Hot Water system took a little more time. I have previously installed a handful of Helton systems in 100's belonging to customers but it was always done right against the firewall above the passenger side fender well, unfortunately rightwhere the dual battery is positioned in my particular setup. This required a change of plans as I had the Slee dual battery tray mounted and an ARB compressor mounted right next to the auxiliary battery. After a bit of scoping out and measuring up we found the most copacetic configuration was right behind the shroud of the engine, tucked high against the firewall. While this made for some creative plumbing restraints I was able to tie into the factory coolant system with two additional hoses and if I ever need to remove the Helton, a single OEM hose takes it out of the loop. For the fresh water lines to the bumper I opted for some high temperature rated 1/2" hose in red and blue coloring, the red for the hot (output) side and the blue for the cold (input) side of the system. These lines mate to the Helton bumper fitting bracket thus allowing easy of use in the field.

plumb_helton.jpg

Plumbing the Helton

helton_mounted.JPG

Helton Mounted

helton_bump_fit.JPG

Helton Bumper Fittings

wiring.jpg

Rear 12V Plug Wiring

outlets.jpg

Finalized plug configuration

aux_fuse.JPG

Bluesea Fuseblock

aux_bat.JPG

Finalized Dual Battery & ARB Compressor Mounting & Wiring

To Do List By End of Day 3 (Sunday 8AM - 5PM):

Inventory Parts
Break wheel lug nuts
Rear End on Jack Stands
Remove Rear Tires
Rear Stock Shocks & Coils Removed
Rear OME Suspension Installation
Rear Tires Mounted
Rear End Lowered & Rear Tires Torqued
Remove Front Bumper
LandTank Fan Clutch Installation
Front End on Jack Stands
Stock Skid Plate Removed
Stock Shocks Removed
Stock Torsion Bars Removed
OME Shocks & Torsion Bars Installed
Slee Diff Drop Kit Installed
OME Torsion Bars Adjusted
Front Tires Mounted
Front End Lowered & Front Tires Torqued
Stock Trans Cross Member Removed
Slee Skid Plates Installed
Install ARB Front Bumper
Warn Winch Installed in Bumper
IPF Lights on Bumper
Remove Stock Roof Rack
Remove Stock Rear Bumper
Install ARB Rear Bumper
Assemble & Install ARB Wheel Carrier
Assemble & Install ARB Jerry Can Holder
Rough Electrical to Rear
Rear 3rd Row Seats & Seatbelts Removed
Outback Drawer System Installed
Finalize ARB Fridge Wiring & Aux power outlets
Install ARB Fridge
Remove Stock Battery
Install Slee Dual Battery Tray
Install Optimas
National Luna Dual Battery System Installation
Remove Factory Running Boards
Install ARB Side Steps & Side Rails
Install Eezi-Awn Roof Rack
Safari Snorkel Installation
Helton Hot Shower System Installation

100% complete, done, finished. While I was fully confident in our ability to make it happen on such a condensed schedule, I was still a bit in awe that all the pieces came together so nicely. :cool:

Helpers:

I couldn't have done it without my crew of ringers. These guys all sacrificed parts of their weekend to come slave away on what most considered an impossible build. In the end with many helping hands the actual work load was relatively light and I don't think anyone felt too burned out. We were able to cram nearly 150 man hours worth of projects and installs into a 72 hour window of time and still get a bit of shut-eye in between, all due to the generosity of my pals. I have to lead off my list (which is alphabetical) with my wife Candace who not only put up with my wrenching all weekend but also helped with key components of the build such as parts pickup and even more important feeding the hungry crew.

Candace Williams
Chris Peterson
Cody McKendrick
Corey Fillmore
Dan Lockington
Darren Webster
Dave Connors
Devin Baumgardner
Jake Chatwin
Jason Goates
Johnny Cassel
Josh Stanfield
Kirk Farrell
Olly Bradsteeet
Paul May
Ryan Davis
Scott Jackson
Stephen Nielson
Tovin Benson
(Anyone I'm missing? Please chime in!)

Companies:

While there were many companies that we could have used or did use for different roles on the build, these ones really stood out both in their interest of the project and their ability to help us make it happen on such an abbreviated schedule. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of them for your build needs, tell them I sent you :D

ARB USA - Bumpers & OME suspension
Armor Coatings - Power coating of wheels, bumper and step components
Big-O Tires Sandy - Tires, mounting and balancing.
Equipt Expedition Off-Road - Roof rack and dual battery system
Slee Offroad - Skid plate system, battery tray and diff drop kit.
Ajik/Landtank - Modified fan clutch
Pfran - Interior LED retrofit kit.

Last edited: