Toyota Project: TacoCart

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Change of pace now:

Front axle all cleaned up with a coat of primer. I plan on doing the black coat tomorrow and then spending time to setup the gears and ARB most likely this weekend. :cool:

IMG_3115.jpg

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
I like the tight tucked bumper. Its nice to see new fab and welding on newer rigs. Anymore it seams like everything anyone puts on a new rig is just bolted on. Im excited to get the ladys 4 runner going after koh.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Finally done setting up the front axle ARB locker and 5.38 gears. I enjoy this work a lot, I like the technical aspect of it and having the right tools makes it MUCH better. Seriously, get a good bearing puller if you don't have one.

Knocked the old races out and got the shims measured for a starting point. I had 0.025 behind the race and ended up with a final 0.040 for proper pinion depth.
IMG_3155.jpg

Setting up the ARB with the shims on the outside is so much easier than normal. I was able to get the backlash and preload fairly quickly after I got the pinion depth settled.
IMG_3171.jpg

I will always try to use a lubelocker. Best things ever.
IMG_3176.jpg

Finished it off with a RuffStuffSpecialties diff cover.
IMG_3177.jpg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Steering box centered up and pitman is mounted. I get almost full lock to lock, except when I steer driver the tie-rod interferes with the thick RuffStuff diff cover. I may have to do something different with that cover.
IMG_3249.jpg

I cleaned up the old axle shafts and used the bandsaw to clearance them for full circle clips with the new spicer joints. These will eventually become spares after I upgrade at a later date. :cool:

IMG_3247.jpg

IMG_3244.jpg

IMG_3251.jpg

The spindles needed quite a bit of cleanup as well. I replaced the spindle needle bearings using this tip: https://www.rme4x4.com/threads/tricks-to-get-a-job-done-easier.114203/page-3#post-1113956

Looking good! Next up is to clean up the disk brake brackets and the disk brakes / hubs. Tons of rust to remove.
IMG_3275.jpg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I went with the Yukon hardcore hubs because last time I had Warn hubs I felt like I was trading them in on warranty more than I used them. These things are awesome, the pieces are much more stout and made of proper steel instead of crumbly aluminum like in the warn premiums.
Also, new rotors and calipers
IMG_3350.jpg

I changed the top diff cover bolt to a button head and now we have clearance! BARELY misses.
IMG_3362.jpg

Steering and trackbar tightened up. I threw on some leftover coils to see if I could get a weight estimate. They were too soft...
IMG_3359.jpg

IMG_3358.jpg

Getting closer. Almost looks like the driveline will bolt right back up too. I'll have to re-measure to be sure.
IMG_3357.jpg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
That is looking amazing, Shane! Almost back on it's own weight! I'll be curious to see what weight coils you end up with.

Thank you! I'm excited but it's definitely in the nickel and dime phase. I'm curious on the coil lengths and weights too... but some searching is turning up good info. Looking like I need to support close to 1000-1200lbs up front so I'll throw that info into a calc and see what comes up. It's interesting how much weight dropped from the sprung weight losing all that IFS stuff. Looks like OME springs tends to run 650-700lbs per corner (unless I'm reading wrong).

The bummer is that as soon as the front is done I'll be tearing in to the rear but at least it won't be as big of a job. Looking like adding some slightly longer shackles and bracing the frame better for a rear tire carrier and it should be good for a while. :cool:

Pike2350

Thank you! I'm excited but it's definitely in the nickel and dime phase. I'm curious on the coil lengths and weights too... but some searching is turning up good info. Looking like I need to support close to 1000-1200lbs up front so I'll throw that info into a calc and see what comes up. It's interesting how much weight dropped from the sprung weight losing all that IFS stuff. Looks like OME springs tends to run 650-700lbs per corner (unless I'm reading wrong).

looking really good.

If it's like my Rodeo (very possible) I'm running 225/300 right now and have about 4"up travel on a 10" coil over. I did 10"over 12" as well. I have some spare coils if you want to mess around. I think i have 175 in 10" length and 225 in 12" length. I may even have 275 in 12" length. It might give you a decent start to test what you want to go with.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
looking really good.

If it's like my Rodeo (very possible) I'm running 225/300 right now and have about 4"up travel on a 10" coil over. I did 10"over 12" as well. I have some spare coils if you want to mess around. I think i have 175 in 10" length and 225 in 12" length. I may even have 275 in 12" length. It might give you a decent start to test what you want to go with.
Boom. There's your mockup coils right there.:cool:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Driveline bolted right up and looking really good on the spline slip position!

Brakelines are also in. I ended up using the toyota oem brakelines, just moved the mount point lower on the frame and I'll end up making some teraflex-like brake line guide/retainer to keep them clear from the tires / coilovers.

IMG_3403.jpg

IMG_3406.jpg

looking really good.

This is really good info! I actually think I have enough information to get a first set of coils and go from there. What I'm seeing comes really close to what you have down, only difference is I'm on a 12" coilover and I'll have just a tad over 4" up as well. I really appreciate the offer! :cool:

Those IFS coils have that high spring rate (650-700) because they're leveraged. Not close to 1:1 like you have your coilovers now.

What are you shooting for up travel?

Looking like 4.5" up. :cool:

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Any plans for hydro assist?

Possibly eventually, I haven't ruled it out but currently there are no plans. :cool:

Beautiful work Shane.

Thank you, Bart!

There's been a little more progress, just no photos. I got the turn signal tab mounts made and added to the bumper as well as the aux light tabs. Bumper is all painted up and everything is mostly mounted, including the winch. I need to make a better fairlead mount because I messed up my measurements and it sticks out a tad too far, looks goofy (I made it removable because I wouldn't be able to get the winch in/out since it's tucked in there)

Right now I'm being indecisive about tires. I'm 70% going with Maxxis Rzrs and 30% looking at BFG KM3s. Looks like I'll be pairing with a set of raceline fakelocks that I've found to be pretty nice looking. I also need to figure out my coils.

Other things currently on the todo list: wiring up the winch, wire up the aux lights, run the ARB line and diff breather... then I'll start messing with the rear leafs and figure out what to do back there. Luckily not nearly as much work needed!