Project Toyota Tacoma Doublecab

lewis

Fight Till You Die
What you say makes sense and I am sure your right. But on a large scale to a point, meaning that in large articulation there will be bumpsteer becasue of this. However when hitting a bump and articulating maybe a 1/4" I don't think it matters. I decided to try and test it out and was going to have a friend draw it up on inventor or auto cad but decided to just flex itout and measure it. I only made measurements up to 6" of flex becasue I doubt I will ever see more than that on road and off road I plan on removing the track bar. Started at 1/4" of flex made a measurement from the end of the steering arm to the frame and I also watched as I flexed to see if there was any movemment in the steering arm or pit man arm. Neither moved all the way to 6 inches on, when flexing both the passenger and drivers side. Measurement remained the exact same all throughout. So I came to the conclusion that my bumpsteer had to be coming from somewhere else. I decided to check the toe again and I thought I had set it up pretty good but turns out at the end of the tire it was 1-1/2" toed in. Toed it out to 1/8" at the end of the tire. Took for a drive over some bumpy street. Problem solved. Steering is tight if not as tight as it was before the SAS. Now to figure out why the brakes pull to one side.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
What you say makes sense and I am sure your right. But on a large scale to a point, meaning that in large articulation there will be bumpsteer becasue of this. However when hitting a bump and articulating maybe a 1/4" I don't think it matters. I decided to try and test it out and was going to have a friend draw it up on inventor or auto cad but decided to just flex itout and measure it. I only made measurements up to 6" of flex becasue I doubt I will ever see more than that on road and off road I plan on removing the track bar. Started at 1/4" of flex made a measurement from the end of the steering arm to the frame and I also watched as I flexed to see if there was any movemment in the steering arm or pit man arm. Neither moved all the way to 6 inches on, when flexing both the passenger and drivers side. Measurement remained the exact same all throughout. So I came to the conclusion that my bumpsteer had to be coming from somewhere else. I decided to check the toe again and I thought I had set it up pretty good but turns out at the end of the tire it was 1-1/2" toed in. Toed it out to 1/8" at the end of the tire. Took for a drive over some bumpy street. Problem solved. Steering is tight if not as tight as it was before the SAS. Now to figure out why the brakes pull to one side.

Toe it 1/8" in and I bet it is better, might even correct the "brake pull."

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I would set the toe at the outside of the wheel, not the tire. That's how car are aligned, with 37" tires you're 1/8" toe is slim to none at the wheel.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I would set the toe at the outside of the wheel, not the tire. That's how car are aligned, with 37" tires you're 1/8" toe is slim to none at the wheel.

Thats what I had done originally. I thought that was the way it was done. I could be wrong but I do know that it drives alot better now. And having equal pressure in the tires helps with all the issues I have been having as well.

Last edited:

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Here is some full body pics.
build9002cw3.jpg

build9001mb2.jpg

build9003pn5.jpg

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
yeah I wouldnt touch them till you have wheeled them a bit. I think mine settled at least an inch over the first year.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I drilled and tapped my bolts in the shackles to put in grease zirts.And I almost have the parking brake hooked up.
tub008ud0.jpg

tub009xi1.jpg

tub012wi5.jpg

dstrbd1

I would definitly get rid of the rear load proportioning valve and get one from summit. That would help to set the rear brakes. Not sure if you already have but installing a residual valve for the rear brakes helps a lot. 10 lb for drums or a 2 lb for disks. Also the 2000 and older tacomas have a 1" master cylinder and dual diaphragm booster. That will greatly improve your braking. Some people like the Chevy MC but it seems to make the pedal real stiff. Just thought I would share from my own experiences. I like your attention do detail. Nice clean build.

I drilled and tapped my bolts in the shackles to put in grease zirts.And I almost have the parking brake hooked up.
tub008ud0.jpg

tub009xi1.jpg

tub012wi5.jpg