Project Toyota Tacoma Doublecab

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Thanks for the info. I Plan on adding residual valves. The brakes work ok but the pedal is a little spongy. Something else to tinker with once I get it up and going again.
I have started to build the new crossmember. Has been to cold for my camera to take pictures. Here is the start of it anyways.
mounts004hw8.jpg

Also when I upgraded the valve body from IPT I used the gasket that they sent which was a mistake since it leaked since then. I got the FIPG mfrom the dealer ($20) and took off the pan and scraped the gasket off which then required repainting the pan. Here is the band aid until the paint dried.
yupp002od0.jpg

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I wouldn't bother with residual valves. Their intent is to keep fluid from bleeding from your brakes back to the master cylinder, which only happens if your M/C is lower than your brakes.

dstrbd1

They also seem to really help when you are running larger brakes with a smaller MC. They keep the calipers from bleeding off. The more they bleed off the more you have to press the pedal to refill the lines.

Last edited:

ricsrx

I wouldn't bother with residual valves. Their intent is to keep fluid from bleeding from your brakes back to the master cylinder, which only happens if your M/C is lower than your brakes.

I used them on my sand rail because the MC was lower than the calipers, but i am noticing on my 82 toyota with the larger drum brakes that the brake peddle is spongy at the top of the stroke but very firm at the end. could they help?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I used them on my sand rail because the MC was lower than the calipers, but i am noticing on my 82 toyota with the larger drum brakes that the brake peddle is spongy at the top of the stroke but very firm at the end. could they help?

I honestly don't know on that one. :eek: If you decide to try it, post up and let us know if it helps.

dstrbd1

My system uses the older tacoma 1" MC with the dual diaphragm booster, chevy 1/2 ton disks front and rear with a summit proportioning valve and 2 lb residual valve for the rear. I know that when I switched my rear 8" toy axle with supra disks to the D60 with the bigger chevy disks I had a mushy peddle. I added the residual valve and it seemed to really work for me.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I got my tcase mount made. I have it all welded up. Just waiting for my dimple dies to finish being made so I can plate the bottom of it before putting it back in. The bushing are really tight and it was a pain in the ass to get it out after tacking it.
tcase003.jpg

tcase008.jpg

tcase013.jpg

I also started putting my sliders together. I still need to weld them up and wait for my dimple dies to finish them.
slider008.jpg

lewis

Fight Till You Die
So I got some more done this weekend. I made a plate to protect the radiator, just needs dimpled so I can weld it on. I also got the rear frame braces started and went to clean the paint off the frame so I could weld them up when I let the smoke out of my 26th craftsman grinder. SO I was done for the day. The first pic shows all the stuff I have cut out waiting to be dimpled (except for the frame plate)before i can weld it up. I sure Hope I get them soon so I can actually finish something.

metal001.jpg

metal010.jpg

sup012.jpg

Last edited:

jsudar

Thanks to you, I'm waiting on the dimple dies as well :p
Gonna build me a really fast looking gas tank skid.

The taco is looking great. It's been a good build to follow.

I had really good luck with my summit proportioning valve when I converted my old Merkur XR4Ti to discs in the rear. It worked wonders for dialing in the F/R bias.

Sometimes, a 10 lb residual valve can help if the front brakes are being really grabby because the rear drums aren't coming in soon enough. Drums brakes have to overcome the tension of the brake springs before they will move, while it takes very little hydraulic effort to start a caliper in motion. The residual valves can help the drums start working harder sooner in the pedal stroke.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Ya it is. I bought it to try them out. Its runs like a champ but is lacking in power so I doubt it will last very long with me using it.I burned up my 26th craftsman grinder this weekend. So I pick up a new one.
f26bbe24-0425-45dd-9b13-9900c2b4b8a.jpg

Last edited:

lewis

Fight Till You Die
So 80 days after I ordered my dimple dies I still don't have them. However the shop that is suppose to make them was kind enough to let me borrow their shop dies so I could finally get something done. Unfortunaltey they only had 2 sizes. So I got my skid plate for my radiator done and my transfer case mount is closer to completion, just need to brace it a little more and install it. I never knew dimple dies could be so much fun. Drilling the holes brings the suck though.
dies003.jpg

dies001-1.jpg

dies005.jpg

dies006.jpg

dies010.jpg

dies017.jpg