The Budget Buggy - Take Two

Coco

Oh yeah. I did all the frame braces, and have been doing more and more. I agree, it definitely needed to be done, now I can make room for the coilovers, and make the rear look as good as the front hopefully :D

Goal for the weekend is to have the rear tube work done, and possibly have the coilovers hung. But that is a BIG stretch since I will be working saturday.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
On FB we were talking about that turbo manifold not fitting and I've realized why. I'm not sure if you want to change your front shock hoops, but the way I had it setup, my shock hoops were leaning outward pretty good. I had my upper shock mounts inside the hoops, to protect them in case of a roll/flop. This also gave me additional room in the engine compartment and made it easier to tie into the tubework coming off the A pillar, going forward.

You probably don't want to make changes, if you're ready to weld it all up... but this may help you keep the turbo manifold, protect your coilovers and make it easier to tie all the tube work together. :D

Here's a pic -

PA230001-L.jpg

Coco

True, I forgot about how yours were mounted. I still unfortunately have the issue of not being able to get the turbo to bolt to the manifold. I think it is just the way this particular turbo is. I think a log style manifold maybe my best option. That way I can tuck it up closer to the block, and a little further back.

The way I plan on running my hood, my tying in point, are going to come out a little further too.

Greg

Admin
True, I forgot about how yours were mounted. I still unfortunately have the issue of not being able to get the turbo to bolt to the manifold. I think it is just the way this particular turbo is. I think a log style manifold maybe my best option. That way I can tuck it up closer to the block, and a little further back.

The way I plan on running my hood, my tying in point, are going to come out a little further too.

That's right... do you know what flange is on the turbo? The flange on that manifold should be a T3, your turbo may have a T25 flange...?

If so, here's an adapter. - http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/350865650055?lpid=82

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
^this is a good option IMO. I've seen J**p guys go from a normal exhaust manifold, loop under the oil pan and put the turbo up on that side. Pretty legit setup as long as you keep the turbo above the oil pan so your return line works well.

Edit: or put the turbo further back (STS style) and don't worry about needing an intercooler or muffler. It might be a pain to route the intake tubing though.

Last edited:

Coco

I have considered those options as well. It is a T3 style turbo, but I think the housing of the turbo itself maybe slightly different than what Greg had. That is an option as well, I do have a muffler, but wasnt sure on if I wanted to run it or not. Turbos are a good sounding muffler after all :D

Coco

yeah I have been slacking. Here are some pics I forgot to post up:

Cut out the old support, and put those in. Looks 1000x better.

It wont be done for WOTR, I am hoping EJS, but the ultimate goal is OSRC.

I'll be mounting up the tires and wheels tomorrow night, then on saturday I am going to attempt to get it into roller form.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
yeah I have been slacking. Here are some pics I forgot to post up:

Cut out the old support, and put those in. Looks 1000x better.

It wont be done for WOTR, I am hoping EJS, but the ultimate goal is OSRC.

I'll be mounting up the tires and wheels tomorrow night, then on saturday I am going to attempt to get it into roller form.

I am going to beat you done and I just started my chassis 2 weeks ago.....Get to work

N-Smooth

Looks good, I have always liked ftoys. You still have 3 whole months before EJS. If you don't get it done by then, that's bordering never-getting-it-done land. It's not a happy place.

You should probably go save your ftoy homies in the OSRC threads. Now there will be 3 of you in that class :)

Greg

Admin
Looking good Colton, the change with the A-pillar supports is good.... the other setup was kinda janky.

... You should probably go save your ftoy homies in the OSRC threads. Now there will be 3 of you in that class :)

I don't know that it will qualify for the F-Toy class, being that it'll be linked up w/ CO's. I don't know about Craig's rules, but typical F-Toys competing against each other need to be leaf sprung, carb'd, no turbo, etc.

N-Smooth

You are correct. You may want to follow the threads anyways to see what class you'll be in.

Coco

haha your telling me Bart! Thanks guys :)

Skippy, if I had your cash flow, I could do a lot more :p

I am going to get the hammer down, but my tow rig needs some work done so that kinda halted purchasing of more stuff. I am still hoping to get some work done on it this weekend tho.

Coco

Some more progress was made on the buggy late night. Starting to rebuild the back end of the buggy chassis:

Kringle is kind of a attention whore :D