The Budget Buggy - Take Two

Coco

Alright time for an update. I picked up a non E-Locker housing and high pinion from cruiser on here, and began cleaning up that housing. I had the idea of armoring up the housing, and I wanted to integrate the TG inspection hole so I have an easy way to inspect my gears and lockers. So out cam the cut off wheel :D

I cut the old cover off, and I replaced it with the marlin diff cover. The cover was welded up on the inside to prevent leaks. Then I cut a hole, and added the cap. Then was the job of filling in the massive hole for the old fill plug. It wasnt all that hard, just took some time. I hope to have the buggy in a roller this weekend.

UFAB

Why such the massive inspection fill plug? Guess you could fit a wrench in there. If need some machined Inner C balls we got a few kicking around for aftermarket housings.

Coco

A bit more of an update. I was planning on having the entire axle under the buggy over the weekend, but I didnt have all the right brackets in. So I got the correct one coming for my panhard from RuffStuff. I was also planning on having my 3rd link on the passenger side to clear the exhaust, but with my high pinion differential, and my duals, I dont think I will be able to clear the driveshaft with it on the passenger side. So I think it is going on the drivers side, and I will just have to route my exhaust in a different way. I now need to get a different upper link mount also. I tried calling midnight 4x4, but it went to voicemail, then it said the inbox was full and I could not leave a message. Next best option was email. I hope he returns his emails. Anyone know another number I can get a hold of him at? Would rather support local business than go to Ballistic.

Also got the turbo manifold on the motor. Next step after the axle is to mount the turbo, and start fitting and putting the front end together.

Coco

I completely cut the stock cover off, and replaced it with the marlin cover. I added the inspection plug, and filled in the hole for the regular fill plug. Should work good, and shouldnt leak

Coco

I called them again today, he didnt answer, but he did call me back, and I will be running up there after work to get a couple parts :D very nice of him to stay after hours to help me out. I may just be able to get everything figured out and in roller form this weekend! :D

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
JC is a great guy. Last time I was there we talked for quite a while about some of his new products & ideas. I need to stop in there again sometime soon.

Coco

I've been slacking a bit, the latest snow hasnt helped! I will be pulling it in and working on it again this week.

Coco

Time for an update!

Got all the links hung last night, everything looks and appears to work right, but I will throw it up to see if everything looks kosher. full droop the axle will walk, but the buggy will never be full droop. Where the axle is sitting on the stand is going to be ride height, and will allow for 4-3/4" upward travel. Here is some pics.

Kinda-full Droop:

http://s369.photobucket.com/user/TJ...-E13AF5EBFD64_zpscasfp2e6.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I was thinking about notching the frame on the passenger side, so the track bar had more up-travel to work with. Looks like you have plenty of room for exhaust between the engine & the upper link... I think it looks good.

Did I give you those 17" wheels too? Any chance you still have them? :guilty:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Notch the frame, build a hoopty over the top, whatever...you have an easy 4-5" of uptravel to gain with just a little bit of work. (or a lot of work later, if you decide the buggy is too tall or whatever)