THE VOLVO...Ugly semi truck crawler hauler build thread

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
It really stinks just working on this one day a week. Im ready for the truck to be usable. But...keep pluggin away when I can and it will get there

Its been raining all week. The side of my house is stupid soggy. I tried to get the truck out to work on it in the driveway again. No luck

Made it about 3' and the front end sunk. Back tires just spinning. SO.....I got to work on it in the mud today

I picked up a 4x8 1/8" sheet of diamond plate and dang near used the whole sheet today! Started with the bottom, then onto the 2 sides.

Also cut some filler plates to cover the square tube where I cut the old dove tail off.

I forgot to get a pic but I also drilled the holes in the trucks back crossmember and installed 4 1/2" bolts. I covered the c channel up that bolts on so I made sure to weld the nuts in place. The bolts can be removed from the back side pretty easy.

Got all the welding done.....I think. Have to double check. Probably should have waited til I could back the truck into the garage again. My welds turn out better without the wind blowing my shielding gas everywhere. But like I said......I want it done.

Its supposed to rain all week again and next weekend Im going to AZ for the NHRA National race so I wanted to get a quick coat of primer on. Ive been tarping my work but water is still creeping in a bit

So heres how its sitting as of now

I picked up some more lights. Wiring shouldnt be to big of a chore. Just have to extend what was there.

Also......Got this little gold nugget in the mail

It has the service manual for my motor on it!! Im pretty excited to have this.

MASSIVE THANK YOUS to DEMON76!!!

idahoyj

They must be pretty tolerant! I would get letters from the HOA taped to my door if I parked a big rig like that at my house more than one night. :/
I think this thing is awesome. Keep up the good work!

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
Detroit diesels are the main reason that I have to use hearing aids. Dad had an Oliver Super 990 tractor when I was in grade school, that I ran for 12 to 14 hours per day during summers. That beast had a 3-52 supercharged Detroit. Then I drove a GMC Astro 95 with a Detroit 8V-92 for a while. Next was on a dredging operation where I had a tug boat and a work barge, both with Detroits. Those engines put out a lot of power, but they're seriously noisy. :mad:

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
So a couple weeks ago I went semi junk yard hopping. Wilson truck parts in Tremonton had a y pipe with a bunch of pipe connected to it in good shape. It looked like it would be a good start to my stacks. Got a price which was acceptable but I drove the Honda up and I didnt want to get divorced over putting old pipes in the wifes car.

So today I had some time and went up to get it. It was still there so I hauled it up front. Guy at the counter didnt know the price and I was hoping to get it cheaper so I didnt say anything. He calls the boss. Boss tells him not to sell that piece to me because he has a tow truck that needs stacks and he wanted to use it for his truck. Show him another one.

So he shows me one that I hadnt seen and it actually looks like it will work better for me. So I play the I might could make this work if the price is right card. Guy calls the boss again.

So this time boss says.....actually dont sell him any parts. He can come back after my install is done. I dont want to sell anything that I might need to use.

I thought they were joking. Then when I realized they werent I got pretty pissed. Pretty interesting way to run a business.

Thats my useless thing today that I want people to know.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
There was a guy on Utah Broke Bastards 4x4 trying to sell some 6" pipe, Big Sarge was directing him your way. Not sure if he was able to get ahold of you or not.