jpest

Anti-Social Networking

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
In the spirit of needing a civic, I've decided to start going down the "street legal" path. I'll probably have to do something different with the spare gas so the brake lights are visible, which is ok because so far it's only real use has been for igniting bonfires.

IMG_1595.JPGIMG_1596.JPG

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Another thing I'm looking to do very soon is replace my inner air locks with real old fashioned beadlocks. After blowing two tubes on the trail and just having to deal with the pain in the ass of adjusting two stupid air pressures all the time, I've just had it. Air locks style beadlocks are just not for me.

I need to find some steel wheels with the same offset as the hummer wheels (close is fine I guess, I don't want super wide) and some good old weld on rings. I loved my old beadlock wheels.

Anybody running this 43" SX's have any problems with normal beadlocks? I know the bead on these tires are a tad obese. :ugh:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I wonder if there's a steel wheel from late 2nd Gen Dodge trucks you could use? They are offset pretty deep. Likely about 1/2" narrower than your H2 wheels? Seems like I was 77-78" with H1/38" TSL SX and I am at 81-82" with H2 and 38x14.50" Kevlars. With alloy Dodge wheels and 37" Creepy Crawlers, I was much closer to the H1 setup than I am to the H2 setup. I'd guess that at about 79-80"? Adding beadlocks to a stock Dodge wheel might get you back out around 82-83"?

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I wonder if there's a steel wheel from late 2nd Gen Dodge trucks you could use? They are offset pretty deep. Likely about 1/2" narrower than your H2 wheels? Seems like I was 77-78" with H1/38" TSL SX and I am at 81-82" with H2 and 38x14.50" Kevlars. With alloy Dodge wheels and 37" Creepy Crawlers, I was much closer to the H1 setup than I am to the H2 setup. I'd guess that at about 79-80"? Adding beadlocks to a stock Dodge wheel might get you back out around 82-83"?

That is not a bad idea...! I will have to look into that.

Evolved

Less-Known Member
Anybody running this 43" SX's have any problems with normal beadlocks? I know the bead on these tires are a tad obese. :ugh:

I don't have any current experience with this set up BUT, I have a set of 43 SX's stickies that should be here this week. I have a set of OMF beadlocks that I will be mounting them to. I called OMF last week to get some new hard wear and while on the phone with them they mentioned because of the bead size I will need to run shims (basically and anti-coning ring). If I get to mounting them before you have your wheels I will post up my experience with mounting them.

I am curious about your inner air locks. Did they not keep pressure at all or was it a slow leak? How did you pop the tubes? Were your tires are a super low pressure and just pinched the tube? I have ran them before and actually liked them. I have ran them twice and on both rigs there was always one tire that didn't keep pressure but the tubes held just fine. I read on Pirate (from an expert on the matter as most people on pirate are) that the 43 SX's on a 17's or 16.5's "burp" air at a low pressure and eventually cause the bead to break away. This right here is what is causing me to second guess my wheel decision. If I didn't just powder coat my wheels I would be all about buying your inner air locks from you.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Please post up your progress and experiences with this.
Thanks Herzog!

Will do! So far I'm just adding the requirements. Blinkers are on, need to hook them up. I have a horn that will go on this week. Trying to figure out what to do for a speedometer. I might do something nice, as I'm always wondering how fast I'm going anyways (never very fast, but it's nice to know).

I'm hoping that it all goes smooth. Seems like enough people do it for UTV's now days that nobody really blinks at it.

I don't have any current experience with this set up BUT, I have a set of 43 SX's stickies that should be here this week. I have a set of OMF beadlocks that I will be mounting them to. I called OMF last week to get some new hard wear and while on the phone with them they mentioned because of the bead size I will need to run shims (basically and anti-coning ring). If I get to mounting them before you have your wheels I will post up my experience with mounting them.

I am curious about your inner air locks. Did they not keep pressure at all or was it a slow leak? How did you pop the tubes? Were your tires are a super low pressure and just pinched the tube? I have ran them before and actually liked them. I have ran them twice and on both rigs there was always one tire that didn't keep pressure but the tubes held just fine. I read on Pirate (from an expert on the matter as most people on pirate are) that the 43 SX's on a 17's or 16.5's "burp" air at a low pressure and eventually cause the bead to break away. This right here is what is causing me to second guess my wheel decision. If I didn't just powder coat my wheels I would be all about buying your inner air locks from you.

I don't know why, but I just don't have any confidence in them. It's was a pretty big let down when the tube bursts. I'm guessing pinched from moving around due to low tire pressures. One tire is constantly leaking so I have to air down the air lock, air up the tire, air up the air lock. I just want to throw some normal beadlocks on and not think about it ever again. I drove out of Pritchett on a punctured tire and outer beadlocks. It sucked, but I got out. I don't think that would happen with air locks. I now carry a spare tube though. :cool:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
What about a Garmin GPS for a speedo? This is one of the screens I can display on mine. The travel speed shows on most of the screens.

Attachments

• IMG_20160404_114409.jpg
    IMG_20160404_114409.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 10

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I still have my last model, which I put over 500k miles on. This is my new one that I've had about a year. Both can be loaded with the Moab trails (see pic) but this new one can also be used with a remote camera.

Attachments

• IMG_20160404_155242.jpg
    IMG_20160404_155242.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I just have an app for my phone that uses the GPS for a speedometer. Works with or without service, and it was free. It's called DigiHUD (HUD for Heads Up Display.)

Add a mount for your phone on your dash and be done.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I just have an app for my phone that uses the GPS for a speedometer. Works with or without service, and it was free. It's called DigiHUD (HUD for Heads Up Display.)

Add a mount for your phone on your dash and be done.

Will be using this! Thanks Bryson!

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Be aware, while DigiHUD works well, my phone gets hot while using it, and it drains the battery really fast. So it "works" the phone pretty hard. :)