General Tech What did you work on Today?

Hickey

Rusty Girdle
Supporting Member
My Teraflex 2" stretch kit came with brackets to relocate my rear Speedbumps 2" back. The problem is, that those brackets also raise the Speedbumps up a little bit, which I don't really have room for... so I moved the upper bump stops back a little instead.

Before:

17652475-E8B8-4A03-B9FE-CE21DF23C348.jpeg

After:

D902F34D-1EDE-4AF5-A175-C2CD504EE267.jpeg

Hickey

Rusty Girdle
Supporting Member
My OCD thanks you (mostly)
I'm still not totally happy with the setup. I really wish I would have bought the other style Speedbumps for the rear. I'll likely change them out one day, the same day that I cut off the lower coil mounts and weld new ones back in at the correct position so my pinion angle is correct.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
My son and I made a little progress on the front bumper of his WJ over the last two nights.

After scratching our heads a bit we devised a pretty slick mount that will be both functional and strong. Being a unibody we need to ensure the fasteners won’t pull through the sheet metal as well as spread the load out all while keeping it as tight up to the core support and grille as possible yet not obstruct airflow through the radiator.

After some measurements we started cutting some 1/4” plate.

Once one side is mocked up I disassembled and used transfer punches to duplicate.

Test fitting with 1/2” bolts.

All four pieces cut, trimmed and test fit before prepping to weld the nuts in place.

I generally use muriatic acid to remove the zinc coating on the nuts prior to welding but i opted to just knock the coating off the flats with the belt sander tonight which is why the soot.

Bolted in place.

Here is where it could be a bit “Fleet” and not rigid enough when using the winch in a recovery situation so I opted to add some strength by creating a rib or backbone to the mounts.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I thought only people in west valley parked on their lawn :D
so did my neighbors that were moving in while we were knocking down the wall!! Guess they picked the wrong neighborhood!

Rest assured, we are not actually parking on the grass.

Just driving on it:rofl:

The trailers can be backed all the way around the back of the house to their proper location. This just allows me to move them each one at a time in any order. Previously, I would be 3 or 4 trailers deep sometimes and have to move the first 3 to get to the 4th.

Hickey

Rusty Girdle
Supporting Member
so did my neighbors that were moving in while we were knocking down the wall!! Guess they picked the wrong neighborhood!

Rest assured, we are not actually parking on the grass.

Just driving on it:rofl:

The trailers can be backed all the way around the back of the house to their proper location. This just allows me to move them each one at a time in any order. Previously, I would be 3 or 4 trailers deep sometimes and have to move the first 3 to get to the 4th.
Every day you're shufflin.

Hickey

Rusty Girdle
Supporting Member
Today I finished up several projects to prepare for a trip to Texas in a couple weeks.

Wired up a replacement for my 3rd brake light that fills two holes left in the tailgate after removing the spare tire.

95675B25-299F-400B-8F84-4406F0E845E8.jpeg

Finished building a platform to go on top of my spare tire.

213D2CDE-3D53-497D-BFF6-187964854020.jpeg

And removed the back seat and built a platform for two loving adults to sleep on. This is actually wider than the mattress in my work truck by several inches.

987AE44C-7E03-4A8F-9B29-769139950827.jpeg

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Today I finished up several projects to prepare for a trip to Texas in a couple weeks.

Wired up a replacement for my 3rd brake light that fills two holes left in the tailgate after removing the spare tire.

View attachment 124626

View attachment 124625

And removed the back seat and built a platform for two loving adults to sleep on. This is actually wider than the mattress in my work truck by several inches.

View attachment 124627

Looks good Jeremy. Have fun on your trip.

Mike

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
I thought I had posted this a couple of years ago but maybe I forgot.

This TIG torch holder was repurposed from an old GS1100 Suzuki engine that we used in our sand drag quad.

I bought a 3" diameter magnet and then cut and rotated the rod cap to create the torch head cradle. I then drilled and tapped the piston to accept a set screw against the wrist pin to prevent it from rotating.

Mike

Hickey

Rusty Girdle
Supporting Member
Jeremy, great idea on the 3rd brake lights, that's awesome. Love your craftsmanship Mike.
Thanks Bart. I can't even remember where I bought those LED's but they covered those holes perfectly and they are much brighter than the pic shows.
The wires were really tiny though. So small that my wire strippers were too big to strip the insulation.

4x4_Welder

View attachment 124626

View attachment 124625

View attachment 124627
Did you use dual intensity lights or are they just brake lights?

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Last night’s progress consisted of mounting the lower valance under the winch to the lower radiator support. This panel will serve a couple purposes. It needs to allow airflow to the lower section of the cooling stack plus add cosmetic appearance to hide the lower radiator support and yet not impede approach angle.

Next we will focus on enclosing the winch and building out the center section.

Thanks for looking.

Mike