Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I'm not too sure, something pretty simple but with triangulation so it has plenty of strength. I know I mentioned having you build it, but I may do it myself. I have a bender.... and the parts to convert it to air over hydro. Might as well use what I have... it's been a long time since I've built a cage!

I go a long time between tube bending adventures. The only thing that helps me is to draw it out on the floor with soapstone and then it all starts coming back to me after the first couple bends.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I go a long time between tube bending adventures. The only thing that helps me is to draw it out on the floor with soapstone and then it all starts coming back to me after the first couple bends.

I've done small stuff (bumpers), but haven't done a cage for YEARS. I don't think it'll be too hard to pick back up, but this time I'll have air over hydro, so there will be much less sweating! :D

Bart

Great to see you picking this one back up and I agree, 37s will make it much more fun. BTW, I'm with you on the low LCG. I'm a little taller than I'd like to be but I have quite a bit of adjustment in the rear. I do like having some uptravel when bombing down bumpy roads, and there are times when I'm really glad for a high breakover angle. I think it's like flex used to be, there is a happy medium and its not on the extreme end.

Greg

Admin
Great to see you picking this one back up and I agree, 37s will make it much more fun. BTW, I'm with you on the low LCG. I'm a little taller than I'd like to be but I have quite a bit of adjustment in the rear. I do like having some uptravel when bombing down bumpy roads, and there are times when I'm really glad for a high breakover angle. I think it's like flex used to be, there is a happy medium and its not on the extreme end.

Yeah, a happy medium is a good way to describe it. Low slung 4x4's are badass, but sometimes the it's not always the best case. Up travel is good!

Greg

Admin
Well, I'm not 100% sold on this idea... but it sure does sound good!! While I have the complete Vortec 4.3 V6 and it would be enough for the Willys, I found a deal I couldn't pass up. If I use it, it'll be more money and work, but the end result would be well worth it all! So what is it?

It's a new GM 5.3 aluminum block with a pair of LS1 heads off a Corvette with 30k miles. I want to build it with flat-top pistons like the GM L33 (called the Vortec 5300 HO), which makes 330 HP stock. With an aftermarket cam and a good tune, it should be close to 400 HP. :oops: :D I'm not sure if the 4L60e, Dana 300 OR Dana 44 axles will like the V8 with 37's. I'm amazed at how light these parts are, I've handled a complete LM7 (truck 5.3 with iron block), but picking up this aluminum block and heads is crazy. The block weighs 106 pounds and the heads with valves and springs weigh around 30 pounds each!

I would want to assemble the 5.3 myself and learn more about the LS engine. I've build old school SBC's in the past, but this will be new for me! The crazy thing is that the aluminum V8 would be around 80 pounds lighter than the V6!

20171220_112254-L.jpg

It fits with room to spare! :p

20171220_115410-L.jpg

Greg

Admin
I love this idea. I dig the ls flatfender videos

Me too! There is no such thing as too much horsepower!

My 1st Jeep was a CJ5 that I swapped a 355 SBC that I built with a full roller valvetrain and Dart heads and intake. It was a 400 HP engine.... all combined with bias ply tires, rear Lock-Rite and manual trans. It was a handful on the street! I don't think this Willys will be that rowdy, but I won't lack for power when I need it!

1969honda

Supporting Member
I'm a newbie here, but I saw your build and was reading up on your project. It looks like a lot of fun and the old flatties are just plain awesome. On your block I wanted to point something out for you, that you may or may not already know. That's a newer AFM/DOD 5.3l aluminum block, so you'll want to make sure you get a non AFM/DOD valley cover with the o-rings to seal the towers in the valley. ( GM# 12598832 IIRC) Another common thing to do is to drill/tap them for an 1/8 npt plug or ligenfelter makes a blind rivet tool specifically for plugging those holes. If you don't at least do the valley cover your oil pump will fill the valley with no real restriction and you'll have major oil pressure problems.

I've got a 5.3l LC9 out of a 2013 Yukon (same block) that I am currently doing a DOD/AFM delete on for a Blazer project. I would hate to see you get everything done and have to tear into it again trying to figure out an oil pressure issue.

A good reference is LS1tech for info on these new LS engines. There is also a low oil pressure sensor in the stock pan that you can remove and plug up with a dDorman Honda oil drain plug, if I remember the number I'll post it.

Bart

Sorry, I've got to play the old guy, devil's advocate, but I think that motor would go to waste in the flatty. Don't get me wrong, I love the motor, and the flatty, just not as a couple. Fire suit on and ready for backlash. Flame away.

smfulle

I like more horsepower, nothing like the feeling of the rear wheels trying to get ahead of the front wheels, but.....

Most all of the videos that I have watched of flat fenders going over backwards are of high horsepower rigs with max traction tires. Sometimes there is also too much lift. Just a little extra skinny pedal, even on small slopes, and over they go. Don't think this would happen to Greg though.
The only place I have ever wished for more horsepower than my stock GoDevil 60 hp is in the sand. Oh and when I get to 50 mph or so on the street and there ain't no more.
Other opinions may vary.

Greg

Admin
I'm a newbie here, but I saw your build and was reading up on your project. It looks like a lot of fun and the old flatties are just plain awesome. On your block I wanted to point something out for you, that you may or may not already know. That's a newer AFM/DOD 5.3l aluminum block, so you'll want to make sure you get a non AFM/DOD valley cover with the o-rings to seal the towers in the valley. ( GM# 12598832 IIRC) Another common thing to do is to drill/tap them for an 1/8 npt plug or ligenfelter makes a blind rivet tool specifically for plugging those holes. If you don't at least do the valley cover your oil pump will fill the valley with no real restriction and you'll have major oil pressure problems.

I've got a 5.3l LC9 out of a 2013 Yukon (same block) that I am currently doing a DOD/AFM delete on for a Blazer project. I would hate to see you get everything done and have to tear into it again trying to figure out an oil pressure issue.

A good reference is LS1tech for info on these new LS engines. There is also a low oil pressure sensor in the stock pan that you can remove and plug up with a dDorman Honda oil drain plug, if I remember the number I'll post it.

Hey, I love having people weigh in, especially when they have more knowledge than I! I had heard about the additional oil passages on the newer blocks but didn't know how to block them. Thanks for the part # on the valley cover! The threaded plugs sound like a great option to me.

I have registered on LS1Tech years ago, when I was playing with my last 5.3 LM7. Just to make sure I have all my bases covered with the LSx, I went ahead and ordered the book "How to Build and Modify GM LS-Series Engines" - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0760335435/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'd appreciate the part # for the Dorman plug if you can recall it. :cool:

Sorry, I've got to play the old guy, devil's advocate, but I think that motor would go to waste in the flatty. Don't get me wrong, I love the motor, and the flatty, just not as a couple. Fire suit on and ready for backlash. Flame away.

No flames here, but I'd love to hear your reasoning, Bart. You have built and wheeled all kinds of different rigs, so I respect your opinion! Earlier in this thread I mentioned having a well-balanced drivetrain and how I thought the 4.3, 4L60e, Dana 300 and Dana 44's would be pretty well balanced. Now the LSx engine throws that whole line of thought out the window... and I know it! :D Even more so when you toss 37's into the mix!

I like more horsepower, nothing like the feeling of the rear wheels trying to get ahead of the front wheels, but.....

Most all of the videos that I have watched of flat fenders going over backwards are of high horsepower rigs with max traction tires. Sometimes there is also too much lift. Just a little extra skinny pedal, even on small slopes, and over they go. Don't think this would happen to Greg though.
The only place I have ever wished for more horsepower than my stock GoDevil 60 hp is in the sand. Oh and when I get to 50 mph or so on the street and there ain't no more.
Other opinions may vary.

I will gladly admit, I'm a horsepower junkie... from my '71 Camaro, to my CJ5 that ended up with the Camaro engine to my last motorcycle that had 100 HP.... I like excessive power! I wish my JKU had either a supercharger for a V8, to be honest. This would be my 3rd Jeep with a GM V8, so I'm familiar with big power in a short 4x4.

With this build, I plan to push the axles out as far as I can. I believe I can end up with 98" wheelbase, which isn't bad for a stretched Willys. If I can afford the ORI struts that I want, they work amazing and are very stable offroad and at speed. I want to keep the height reasonable and combined with the wheelbase, width, lift, suspension setup, etc. I think it'll be very managable. I think I can make it all work, without overdoing it power-wise offroad. I'm pretty careful with my driving offroad and know that I don't have to use all the power, all the time.... but having the option for a big sand dune or high-speed run up a wash sure would be nice!

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I think you should build a bitchin' V8 and put it in a car. I'm afraid 100% of the drivetrain parts you have already collected for the Willys, will not be happy behind a V8. ;)