Coronavirus

4x4_Welder

I'm in a critical position in what has been determined to be an essential industry, no time off for me.
I have medical issues when I don't have any PTO, now that I have that option I can't use it.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I got my travel authorization last night, a letter from the DHS designating me critical personnel and allowed to travel for work-related purposes.

Somebody very far up my management chain thinks we're going to be under quarantine orders very soon.

What does said paper look like, and how does one go about getting such a thing? Internet is not helping me much..

Tonkaman

I got my travel authorization last night, a letter from the DHS designating me critical personnel and allowed to travel for work-related purposes.

Somebody very far up my management chain thinks we're going to be under quarantine orders very soon.

Help me out here. So what happens to people without those papers?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
What does said paper look like, and how does one go about getting such a thing? Internet is not helping me much..

It's a letter, on a DHS letterhead, I guess you've got to work in a role designated as critical. One of my job functions is troubleshooting and dispatching on critical government telecom infrastructure (think Homeland Sec, Border Patrol, 911, FAA, police/fire radio, etc). I'd probably better not post what it looks like though.

I probably won't be using it. I ain't gonna whip it out unless I really am on work-related travel, and I'm working from home with no need to go anywhere unless I lose power or something (like, say, after an earthquake? pssh, never happen).

Help me out here. So what happens to people without those papers?

Dunno, ask somebody in California. I'm guessing you get told to go home, and if the copper's in a bad mood you get a ticket? I can't imagine they'd lock you up, they're letting prisoners out right now FFS.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin

Union Pacific has sent out something similar, on behalf of the Department of Homeland Security, the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Agency (CISA) recently provided guidance identifying workers deemed as “essential critical infrastructure workforce.” I'm supposed to carry the paper with me and continue my work duties as usual.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Union Pacific has sent out something similar, on behalf of the Department of Homeland Security, the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Agency (CISA) recently provided guidance identifying workers deemed as “essential critical infrastructure workforce.” I'm supposed to carry the paper with me and continue my work duties as usual.

So does DHS self identify and send these letters to those who need them, or does the company apply for them?

My boss thinks that I am an essential employee, and would like to get papers..

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I was told today that I'm basically going to be the last person in the building. Or the last role at least. If we shut down we need equipment people to make sure our stuff doesn't catch fire or start spilling hazardous chemicals. That's me and one of my guys for a buddy check. Glad I don't have a family member in the most at risk populationo_O. The sooner they get all these other people out the better. In reality, our parking lot was almost bare this morning due to all the telecommuters. We normally have about 1k people here per day.

This too shall pass and we can all take the most rewarding deep breath.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So does DHS self identify and send these letters to those who need them, or does the company apply for them?

In my case, this came directly from the company. I'd rather stay at home! Not for too long though, don't want to burn thru the savings.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.

I heard your boss was a great guy and wanted to give you a two week vacation?

Mine came from the company too. I'm guessing that the DHS identified companies that had employees in these positions, and the companies are expected to get them to employees in question? I don't know.

I'd be willing to bet that if/when we do get a quarantine order, local businesses will have an opportunity to identify themselves as critical infrastructure. You can make your case to the county health dept. :D

Houndoc

Bear with me, I know that this is a dumb idea, but what if we just quarantine the roughly 3-4% of our population actually at risk of serious complications and let the other 95+% get back to not destroying the economy?

The obvious issue is how do your quarantine everyone over 70 and those with severe chronic health problems and expect them to care for themselves?
Since they need food, housing and medical care, suddenly you have those people to quarantine as well so they don't risk exposing those they care for. But wait, they all have families so....

And thus we are were we are.

dutchman

KI7KSV

Somebody v

I’ve got a couple of buddies that build fire trucks here in Boise, they received similar letters.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Being a food producer, I guess we are "critical infrastructure industry". I am to be here as much as possible UNLESS we are showing symptoms. If anyone in our plant shows symptoms, they are to be identified and sent home PDQ according to our memo received today.