Mbryson's 2012 JKU "build"

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Just a couple updates. I've been concentrating most of my spare time (not much unfortunately) on my "Jeep" not my "4 door" (seems to the be designations each have taken on at the house) but have got a couple of things taken care of lately.

I did buy the Pro-Cal to correct my speedo. Quite easy to make adjustments to the speedo. I did make some tire pressure adjustments to get the tire pressure monitors (seriously....why the hell can't people actually LOOK at their tires as they walk up to their car? .gov mandates REQUIRE pressure sensors....stupid nanny state crap from the F*rd Explorer stupidity so someone could have a legal payday) to turn themselves off with the pressure that works with the Toyos. It has some other features for when I get my axles with gears/ARBs under the rig. Just need to select the right gear ratio, set the dip switches on the Pro-Cal and my speedo and trans shift points will be correct for driveability/reliability. Pretty cool unit and semi-reasonable price.

I also just got back from Bob's Lock, Safe & Key in West Valley (3112 West 3500 South) where our very own jpest hooked me up with two new keys for the Jeep. They had the keys cut/reprogrammed within 30 min and I was out the door with SIGNIFICANT savings vs. getting them at the dealer. The dealer was around $550 or so for two keys :rolleyes:.... I really don't understand what the hell is so wonderful about the dealer keys, but.... Anyway, Justin is the man. See him for a swinging deal

Oh, observations with the 3.21 gears and 3.6L motor. It's really not as bad as I thought it would be. I think if I had 3.73 gears I might stick with those for the "35" inch tires. (mine measure out at 33.5" on the Jeep--OEM was 32" metric). I think 4.10-4.56 would be ideal for mileage and I'm going to 4.88 (hoping that's a good thing :D).

Last edited:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Since your pimping out jpest, I wonder if he could rekey my tailgate to match my ignition key?

mbryson

Supporting Member
I haven't updated this thread in quite a while. (I'm sure there is massive disappointment in the "mbryson fan club"? :D ) Over the summer I did get the axles installed and under the Jeep. 4.88s and ARBs in a D30 and a D44. The 4.88 gears are a bit steep in my opinion for the 35" Toyo Mts (measure out to 33.5 or a little less at half tread). RPMs run about 3300-3400 rpm approaching 80 mph so I don't know that I'm getting the best fuel mileage? I was surprised to find out my mileage dropped in around town situations from the 3.21 gears. The only measured mileage I have is measured by the computer from Moab-Woods Cross. It claimed 18 mpg and I didn't fill up quick enough to get actual mileage. Somewhat believable as I hadn't hit the fuel light by the time I got home. I'd imagine I used 13-14 gallons getting home (quick trip up Long Canyon to Dead Horse point, back to Moab on the highway, then home)? For "35" tires, I think 4.10 or 4.56 would be a better ratio. I need to find something that runs a little bigger than advertised, a 36" tire or a small 37". 35" Kevlars, 35" Maxxis Treps and 37" BFG muds are on my radar. We'll see when that gets done? (bought the teenager a ZJ today...we'll see where that goes)

Along with the axle install, I finally got the ARB compressor wired up and installed. I need a couple more fittings to have active lockers, though. I'll have to stop by CruiserOutfitters next week so I can finish the install up. I don't have the fitting that goes to the ARB solenoids. Used ARBs are a pain. Lots of little things that you forget about unless you're installing them regularly. Glad to have them and hope to try them out soon. The sheerwheelbase of this pig off-road make it somewhat impressive. I was slogging around in the mud on Elk Ridge (west of Monticello) in mid-Sept and it acted like I didn't need lockers (traction control was quite active----sometimes it helped, sometimes it hurt me).

Here's a couple pics of the ARB install. I used a NorthRidge 4x4 compressor bracket to mount over the master cylinder. Works pretty good. On my XJ, I had the compressor mounted in the cargo area. I really did like that for a lot of reasons, but just went with this to see how it'll work. I stole my high output compressor from my "Jeep" (need to find another solution for that rig) and put it in the JK.

Switches were a pain. The ARB switches are pretty big. I hemmed and hawed for quite a while before settling on the spot I settled on. It was almost not good. Drilling holes in your $30k rig's dash took a little courage. I'm not sure I'd put the switches there again if I did another install but mine are working. There's a speaker right behind this panel that gets in the way of the wires. Switches install nicely, but the wiring is annoying. (took me a couple hours to pull the dash apart enough to attach wires to switches with my sausage fingers)

Anyway, here's the pics.

Oh, one other note. We've had the rig in three times for three different warranty issues. Not exactly what I hoped for, but it is what it is. Glad for the warranty and the service dept at LHM Bountiful Jeep. I have/had the startup knock that the 3.6L is known for. Tech hasn't been able to recreate, so they don't have a solution. That has seemed to go away in the past month? Lasted for an oil change (makes me wonder?). Didn't "knock" always on cold start, but mostly that's when it would occur. Have had it "knock" on some warm starts, but it was rare and totally random. Issue is recorded at dealership in case something happens.

2nd issue was about a month after the axle work, my ABS system went bonkers on my dash (rainy night, driving up i-80). All seemed well after a quick stop (except the Christmas tree on my dash) so we continued to our destination. Took to dealer. Figured out there was a bad ABS wire to one of the wheel sensors (not sure which one). I was VERY careful with brakes and ABS sensors when swapping. Not sure what caused the issue.

3rd issue was just last week. Had a check engine light come on while teenager was driving down 215. He got home, told me the issue and we checked it out. Turns out that LHM service closes right at 5 on Sat. (can't blame them) so I had to take car back on Monday. CEL turns out that there is a two stage oil pump on these buggers. Something happened to one of the stages and the light tripped. That part is on national back order but car is "OK" to drive while it comes in. (really? There will be no hi-revs until this is fixed)

My service writer's name is Dave. Good dude and will try to get things taken care of for you. Sad that I know his name. The ABS deal took three days, so I called him a few times. With my queries and concerns, I bought him and the tech a sandwich when they were done (sent them Jimmy Johns---hope that was cool?).

So far, I'm not sure how I feel about the JKU. I won't have many more mods (any?) to the powertrain so hopefully things will calm down and I'll start enjoying the Jeep more. We really like it. It fits all five of us in decent comfort, has storage for gear (something that can't be said about our Navigator when fitting five of us), reasonable fuel mileage and solid axles. More capable off-road than I wanted to give it credit for. Service record is annoying. Hopefully I don't have the same type of Chrysler issues I had with my recently departed Cummins (may it rot in hell) on the Jeep.

Attachments

• arb-2 (Small).jpeg
    arb-2 (Small).jpeg
    17.4 KB · Views: 51
  • arb-3 (Small).jpeg
    arb-3 (Small).jpeg
    22.2 KB · Views: 44
  • arb-1 (Small).jpeg
    arb-1 (Small).jpeg
    32 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
You really need to quit beating on that JK so much...:D

Question on your compressor. Does that one have a thermo switch on the motor? If it does, you may be in trouble. In my LJ I had a Viair 450C. Great compressor, but it had a thermally protected motor. The heat developed in the engine bay would keep the compressor from running (of course, I discovered this 30 miles outside of Moab with 8psi in each tire). I by-passed the thermo switch, and never had any issues with it after that. It was for this reason, I have my compressor in the cargo area on this Jeep.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Rugged ridge makes a pretty slick A-pillar mount for the switches and only cost around 20 bucks. Thats what we usually use due to the fact cutting up a dash in a brand new vehicle is less than intriguing to me

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Great looking rig! I wish you luck on getting it fixed without further issue. Your experiences with the 3.6 are why I went with a 2010 and the gutless 3.8. I can handle the lack of power because it is mostly reliable, and I can supercharge it when I finally get sick of it. it took me at least 4 tries today to get up a mild sand hill. I was wishing for more power at the time, but finnally made it up.
I love my JKU otherwise. I like your setup, and would likely go smaller lift than I have if i were to do it again. I hope to see you on the trail sometime.

Bart

Sorry to hear about the problems. One question. Why is this build thread in the Technical section? It's hard to find.

mbryson

Supporting Member
... Sad to see nip tuck gone though

It's still here. (drove it to work today---between it and the Lincoln, they're the most reliable cars I have :D ) Oil pressure dealio freaked out as I was getting on the freeway today. Shut the car down to 45 mph....not exactly comfortable when you're in the middle of a merge at 7 am.... Waiting to hear when I'll have a Jeep again.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Sorry to hear about the problems. One question. Why is this build thread in the Technical section? It's hard to find.

Unsure. Maybe a mod could move it for me?

Great looking rig! I wish you luck on getting it fixed without further issue. Your experiences with the 3.6 are why I went with a 2010 and the gutless 3.8. I can handle the lack of power because it is mostly reliable, and I can supercharge it when I finally get sick of it. it took me at least 4 tries today to get up a mild sand hill. I was wishing for more power at the time, but finnally made it up.
I love my JKU otherwise. I like your setup, and would likely go smaller lift than I have if i were to do it again. I hope to see you on the trail sometime.

I was planning on snagging an '09-11 and having an LS or Hemi swap done. Used values on 4 doors make them seem like Hondas..... I decided to buy new for the warranty. Time will tell if that decision was good or bad. So far, I'm not sure.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Interesting to hear all the issues your having with your motor, I've had a little noise with mine but nothing like what your describing. That being said I don't drive mine much and it doesn't have very many miles on it

mbryson

Supporting Member
I hope this is the end of your lights! I'm still loving mine, especially the last couple weeks. ;)

80-90 HP makes that big of difference ? :D Just took a test drive and the motor seems MUCH better. I'm hoping it just needed a few issues sorted out and it'll be good to go? (to optimistic?)

spencevans

Overlander
The last Jeep I bought new from the dealer was in the shop 21 times in two years for warranty work. I was so happy when the wife totaled it. I had suspension, egr, transmission, t-case and over heating issues. Sometimes you just get a lemon or bad egg. Hope you get it figured out. Nothing worse than an unreliable off-road vehicle.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
More like 110.... ;) Sure doesn't feel like it's a soccer mom's ride anymore.

(We're headed to Moab the first weekend in Dec, if you feel like doin some road trippin)

80-90 HP makes that big of difference ? :D Just took a test drive and the motor seems MUCH better. I'm hoping it just needed a few issues sorted out and it'll be good to go? (to optimistic?)

Last edited: