The Budget Buggy - Take Two

carsonc1974

Greg and I are on the same page.

Second question, why would you run a CV at the T-case? Would it just to be able to get more angle?

Coco

UPDATE

I didnt get as much done over the weekend as I was hoping I would have. :rolleyes: I came across a Rock Assault rear housing, so I switched that out. The plan was originally switch out the housings, get coilovers hung, and then start cleaning the front axle, and getting it armored.

After switching over the housing, I grabbed one of my coilovers to set in place, and see where I sat... And that is where Iran into a snag. I am not sure if I can get them where I want them. I am afraid I am going to contact the frame with the coils themsleves. I am not sure if I am going to have to notch the frame, or run them inboard. Personally I dont want to inboard them, but Nick seems to think it will work well, which it might, but I personally dont want to run them inboard like that.

zukijames

Looks like tire would probably hit on it if you go out side of frame.. In boarding that far might result in lots of flex but also less stability and more body roll?

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Definately notch the frame, you will thank yourself later it should only take a few hours to notch the frame and plate it back in and in the grand scheme of a buggy build a few hours to do it the way you want is worth it every time

R

rockdog

Just have question. You work at lowrange it looks like. Are you one of the guys at the front desk? If you are, are you the flat bill guy who thinks he's a badass?

sixstringsteve

I wish I could see the pics, they're blocked at work.

I will say... do it exactly the way you want to the first time. It may be a bit more work at first, but you'll be so much happier in the long run. This is especially true for free modifications that just take more time. It's exciting to see you in there building your buggy.

Sometimes I arrive at a point where I need to make a decision, and the best thing to do is to step away from it for a day or two. This will give you time to think and reason and not rush into a decision. If I can't visualize something in my head first, I can't build it. Take the time to visualize exactly how you want it, then build it that way.

ricsrx

I will say... do it exactly the way you want to the first time. It may be a bit more work at first, but you'll be so much happier in the long run. This is especially true for free modifications that just take more time. It's exciting to see you in there building your buggy.

Sometimes I arrive at a point where I need to make a decision, and the best thing to do is to step away from it for a day or two. This will give you time to think and reason and not rush into a decision. If I can't visualize something in my head first, I can't build it. Take the time to visualize exactly how you want it, then build it that way.
X2

Coco

I see you didn't listen to my geometry advice. So it should work great lol looking good keep up the progress man
Looks like tire would probably hit on it if you go out side of frame.. In boarding that far might result in lots of flex but also less stability and more body roll?

haha well the mounts were already on the frame! :p

Definately notch the frame, you will thank yourself later it should only take a few hours to notch the frame and plate it back in and in the grand scheme of a buggy build a few hours to do it the way you want is worth it every time

Yeah that is what I think I am going to end up doing.

That being option 1.
Option 2 being chopping the back of the frame completely out, and building tube in its place. (basically removing the factory frame) and making the back end tube.
Option 3 being chop the frame, and narrowing it up a lil bit.

Just have question. You work at lowrange it looks like. Are you one of the guys at the front desk? If you are, are you the flat bill guy who thinks he's a badass?

Haha I do work at Low Range, You will rarely see me without a hat on (Usually a Trail-Gear flat bill) and I do work in the front. However, I have only recently came back up front. This is my 2nd week being back at the counter. I left a while back, and was gone for a couple months trying a different employment opp. I came back, and worked my way back to the front. One of the guys up front (willing to bet its the same one your thinking of) I guess wasn't working out, or something and is no longer here. Kinda ironic, he was my replacement when I left, and I became his replacement.

So if you need any help with anything here, I am more than willing to help you get what you need :D

I couldn't agree more Steve. That is why I am wanting to mount them on the outside, and forget the inboarding. I do not think it will work for what I want to do.

Last edited:
R

rockdog

Greg said:
Rockdog, he's a good kid.... :D

Greg, I don't know him. I was just asking because of my personal experience's from the two recent times I've been there. First time I stood there for four or five minutes with all three guys in front talking and looking at their computers. One guy facing me right across the counter. Never said a word to me till I finally asked if he could help me. I was invisible I guess.:rolleyes: Second time they were better. But both times badass flat biller never even looked my way. I got the impression he was way too important. Maybe I just came in at a bad time or something. But my impression when I left was, they could use a lesson from Von and Carl. They always made me feel like they truly wanted to help me when I went into their shop.

Coco

Yeah I think notching is what I will be doing

If this wasn't a budget build, full width 1 ton axles would be going under it :D but I got pretty much everything to stuff the Yotas under it.

Rockdog, next time your in, talk to me personally, I will get you taken care of. If it was me, i do apologize in advance. I am currently in the middle. I will make sure you are taken care of. ;)

Last edited:

Coco

Lots of plasma cutting, and grinding away but the front axle is pretty much cleaned up and ready for brackets. I stuck a Marlin diff armor cover on there, and it looks a lot better! There is a bit of modifications I will need to do to make it work, (a bit of gap on the bottom) but I should be able to make it work. I just need to wire wheel the axle clean, and I can start working on stuffing it under the buggy.

Note it is an FJ80 axle housing, and it is upside down in the pics.