Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Little more progress since it's cooling down outside a bit.

Cleaned up the rear axle & removed the oem brackets. This rear D60 is out of a '99 E350 Ford van and had 32(or 33) spline shafts along with disk brakes. The spindles will accept 35 spline shafts without any work. I Lean helped me source this axle and he also spotted a set of D70 shafts to go with it.

This van axle measures out to around 69" wms-wms, so to fit the D70 shafts I'm cutting the axle down on each side (chop & sleeve).

DSC07467.JPG IMAG0430.jpg

Got the motor mount mounted. The trans mount is still in progress. I need to source better bushings. The motor mount will be gusseted much more and have a hoop underneath for a skid support.

DSC07459.JPG

Also got the chassis up off the ground so I can start building suspension soon. This is close to full bump. I'm hoping to gain a little more upward, but that depends on the control arm placement.

DSC07456.JPG DSC07461.JPG

Huge ass tires. I'm not used to this kind of tire, but I'm excited to see how it turns out. I'll be grooving and siping them for better traction. :D

DSC07463.JPG DSC07464.JPG

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
In looking at the photo's are those monster tires going to hit the frame/body? Or is the pic deceiving?

Deceiving. Measurements show that it should clear by about 3/4" lock to lock at full bump with 5.5 backspace wheels. :cool:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
hey, it might make up for the balancing weights :D

you have to remember that he isn't used to the idea of so much unsprung weight :D
going from a two seater with 44's on 38's to a four seater with 60's on 43's has to be a big change. you're growing up so fast shane

in all seriousness the buggy looks amazing and i am insanely jealous

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Wow, those 43's look awesome! Nice work on the buggy, it looks great.

i want monster truck tires someday!! i think you will like them!

Thanks guys. I'm really starting to like them. I'm just not used to the large tires. I've been a small buggy person for the last seven years or so. :D

Fill the tires with helium!

Don't temp me. As silly as it does sounds, I'll be happy to drop a few pounds off each tire. They weigh 120 lbs each. :ugh:

That's way cool! can't wait to see her done, keep up the good work!

Looking very good Shane!!!

Thanks! Hopefully I can pull off the time needed to get it done soon. I am excited to see it come together.

hey, it might make up for the balancing weights :D

you have to remember that he isn't used to the idea of so much unsprung weight :D
going from a two seater with 44's on 38's to a four seater with 60's on 43's has to be a big change. you're growing up so fast shane

in all seriousness the buggy looks amazing and i am insanely jealous

Very true! I am not familiar with all this heavy junk. :D Thanks Nate!

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Hahaha, I was thinking the same thing. Never heard of them being grooved for weight reduction.

I wouldn't believe it either, until I seen it... These guys up here will take a ~100# bogger and make it ~20#. They cut it up so much, that if off the wheel, it will not hold shape anymore.

First time I saw it, I was like "WTF is up with that brown tire?" lol