Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Lube Lockers are awesome. :D I'm TRYING to get some more, but I think Julene blocked my cell. :D

j/k Summit, I'll call today. :D Those tube joint things are nice.

They are GREAT. Well worth the cost, especially when they'll likely last as long as the axles themselves. Not to mention I haven't had one leak yet.

Then you obviously didn't make any progress whatsoever. -_- I only believe what I can see.

I feel the same way. I've already forgotten that I have made any progress. Could have been a bad dream. :D

I really need to come up to Price for a weekend and give you a hand with this project, I love where you're going with it. :cool:

Anytime! Thanks!

:cool: That thing looks killer!

Thanks! :D

Looks good Shane. I saw your truck in town on Saturday, but was to busy with work to stop by and see what you had going on.:thumbs:

I was wondering if you were going to stop by this weekend. :cool:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Started building suspension tabs & links. Got the rear 95% done. I just need to pick up some more Clevite bushings from Teraflex Plus this week. :cool:

Mocked up the rear links with masking tape. I've never used masking tape to do this before but it made it very quick and easy to get the tabs lined up and placed. Also gives you a good visual of where you links will be for vertical separation and lengths and all that 4-link mumbo jumbo.
DSC07685.JPG

I'm a fan of rubber Clevite bushings but I'm not a fan of paying for overpriced pieces of tube to press bushings into. I picked up some 2.25" ID x 0.25" wall remnant tube from Summit Machine and cut them down to 2" pieces. :cool:

I also had some extra arms from a previous project that were in perfect condition and still had good flex joints on the ends. Nothing like saving some money and time.
DSC07686.JPG DSC07689.JPG DSC07688.JPG

Holding the new link in place.
DSC07690.JPG DSC07692.JPG

Build the rest of the links and then welded them up.
DSC07694.JPG DSC07697.JPGDSC07709.JPG DSC07712.JPG

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
In a few of the pictures you can see that the upper links are going to interfere with some of chassis. I plan on removing one of the cross bars and notching the frame to allow for a lot more uptravel.

Here are some more updates:

Transmission tunnel / interior getting some love
DSC07698.JPG

Back end - lower fuel tank mount built, back seat spreader / harness bar built (I goofed the size twice hence the cuts, but it's sleeved about 6" in both directions)
DSC07699.JPG DSC07700.JPG

Updated view of the back. Rear truss is 2" x .25" wall DOM.
DSC07701.JPG DSC07702.JPG

Front w/ axle finally getting positioned and mocked up for tabs.
DSC07703.JPG DSC07704.JPG DSC07706.JPG

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
What's the material on the lowers? looks like they used to be RE lowers maybe?

Just the flex joints are RE. The lower arms were from a previous project on my last buggy. I built the arms. They are 2" x 0.25" DOM. They are painted the same color as RE stuff huh? I'd much rather use the summit machine flex joints because they are a little beefier but I'm working with what I have for now.

For the longer fronts, I'm looking at running some kind of sleeve in them for more strength. It's not too hard to those when they are that long.

sixstringsteve

I wish I knew how to build link suspensions. It's all a mystery to me. I'll take it upon myself to study up this winter. I get confused with all the geometry and calculating and stuff. It can't be that tough, can it?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Thanks for the compliments!

Hopefully I'll have more progress to report in a week or two. Kinda taking a short break, too many other things going on.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
A little recent progress. It's been so long that it actually started to rust on me. :(

Mocking up the front arms w/ tape.
DSC07897.jpg
Burned in the top axle mounts after getting them positioned where I wanted and also built the arms. The lowers on the front are also recycled from a previous project. I got lucky and only had to cut 1" to make them work.
DSC07902.jpg DSC07913.jpg DSC07920.jpg

Lower driver side mount
DSC07922.jpg

Frame side - to be reinforced obviously.
DSC07923.jpg

How she sits as of now.
DSC07925.jpg DSC07926.jpg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Also got a new radiator that is a perfect fit for my front end.
SummitRacing.com said:
Griffin Thermal Products 1-26241-X
Radiator, Universal, Aluminum, Natural, 27.5 in. Wide, 15.5 in. High, 3.0 in. Thick
DSC07889.jpg DSC07891.jpg

and a handful of these handy gussets from A&A MFG
DSC07900.jpg

:cool: