Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Cutting Down / Narrowing a Rear Dana 60

Chop chop.

This went better than I thought it would. I measured over and over then again to make sure everything was going to work out before I started cutting.
DSC07468.JPG

Took 1 1/8 off the passenger side and 1 11/16 off the driver side in order to bring the axle down to OEM D70 shaft size. :cool:
DSC07471.jpg

I Lean sourced 12" of tube to turn down so I could sleeve the axle back together. Thanks Carl!! This made life so much easier. One side was actually 1/16 smaller but a bunch of passes with a flapper wheel and I finally got it to press fit.
DSC07469.JPG DSC07470.JPG

Drilled out 3 holes on each end in order to plug weld & keep it from warping too much from the center weld.
DSC07472.JPG DSC07473.JPG DSC07474.JPG

I had my good friend come over with his big ass dual shield welder to weld it up for me. I could have done a dozen passes with my 185 but I would rather know it was done right with the right amount of heat.
DSC07475.JPG DSC07478.JPG

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Then it was time to start cleaning up the front axle. After about a gallon of degreeser, it started to show it's true color. Rusty. I hate torching and grinding...
DSC07479.JPG DSC07480.JPG DSC07482.JPG

While the front axle was cooling off, I added in a couple more tubes to the door area.
DSC07481.JPG

and started to place the rear axle and made sure I had plenty of room for the coilovers in the back.
DSC07483.JPG DSC07484.JPG DSC07486.JPG DSC07487.JPG

Then of course at the end of the day it was time to mockup the tires again at the end of the day to make sure the overall vision is turning out right. :D
DSC07490.JPG DSC07491.JPG

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I failed to take any update photos but here's a list of progress made this weekend:

• Fuel cell base finished. Just need to come up with a good way to clamp the cell down now.
  • Finally got the transmission mount done so the engine & trans are fully mounted.
  • Added in some more spreaders. Chassis is about 95% done. Just needs the supports for where the shocks will mount and some more small spreaders to strengthen the belly
  • Transmission tunnel and interior skeleton is started. Not much left to finish that up.
  • Cleaned up the front axle (ground down the torched mounts & wire-brushed the rust away)
  • Picking up some DOM for control arms. Time to start setting up some suspension. :cool:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Oh, I also picked up some tube clamps from Summit Machine. These things are very nice and are going to make life much easier.
SM-TC-1250a.jpg

Also picked up some Lube Lockers from Summit Machine as well. If you haven't used Lube Lockers, try it. I had them on my other buggy. Makes opening up the differential and putting it back on completely painless. Huge time saver.
LLR-D060.jpg

Thanks Summit Machine!

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Lube Lockers are awesome. :D I'm TRYING to get some more, but I think Julene blocked my cell. :D

j/k Summit, I'll call today. :D Those tube joint things are nice.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I really need to come up to Price for a weekend and give you a hand with this project, I love where you're going with it. :cool:

Drag Shane out onto Horse Bench for the day on the 2nd and you can help him on the 3rd.

Looks good Shane. I saw your truck in town on Saturday, but was to busy with work to stop by and see what you had going on.:thumbs: