General Tech What did you work on Today?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Our house came with the OG door opener. You know the one, the big white single push button, and the car remotes the size of the old Nokia brick phone. It really sucks now having a key pad for the external opener. Its fun when you lock yourself out of your own house, and cant get through the garage.

Needless to say we will be getting a new opener at some point.
I went with the $198 Genie 1.25 hp belt drive with battery backup. Comes with two little remotes and a keypad. Kinda shocking how quiet it is and how easy it was to adjust the open and closed positions.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Is the move just gonna be a 1 trip and thats it deal or are you making trips up before hand ?
I had a buddy a few years ago that moved there and he bought a big ass trailer for the move and planned to sell it after he moved.
He couldnt give it away, apparently thats lots of peoples plans..lol

Might be worth looking for a big ass trailer up there and towing it home for the move. At least youll be in it cheap...
After today I’m doing the 100% white glove door to door moving company to Alaska. I’m done with this.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
It's good to find out now. There's probably even more you all could pare down over the next two years. What's the majority of weight, tools?
Tools are a lot of it, but I’m not sure how much total weight. I tried to weigh my tool box but couldn’t get it fully off the ground. Scale said 1100 and I still couldn’t lift the other end in the air. So probably a few hundred more. We started weighing every box. Most were in the 30-50 pound range. We were at 1000 pounds with less than 25 boxes. That was just from stuff in the basement. And just a fraction of it.

We emptied the enclosed trailer and put those boxes in the truck. It will be very close but I think I can get it all in the truck. I have about ten feet left and down to the difficult to stack stuff. Tube bender, engine hoist, washer, dryer, two big chairs, dinner table chairs, big desk, couple of bikes. Then odds and ends. Can’t wait to scale it again!

Plan is to drive to st George or Vegas tomorrow and finish the drive on Sunday. Then I’ll fly back sometime next week to drive my truck and trailer down with the jeep in it. (We won’t takes the jeep to Alaska so we won’t have to worry about that.)

NYCEGUY01

PSA for you guys.

When you buy an old truck out of AZ and drive it like 50 miles total in the warm fall and then drop it off for a bunch of work.
Then pick it up and the 1st night its outside is like 5 degrees.

Make sure the truck has at least some antifreeze in it. Lol

Apparently, rust colored water freezes up pretty easy.

I got to spend the last 3 hours getting the old 78 thawed out after i started it and the fan belt shredded in about 12 seconds flat. When the water pump is full of ice it doesnt want to turn.

Ive had it running for about 30 min now with antifreeze and water in it and it appears i got away with it though. Only killed a hose and 2 belts.
Not bad at all, they needed replaced anyway.

Oh, I'll just leave this here as well...

imagejpeg_0.jpg

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Nothing special here. But this snow shovel was my great grandfather's.
I like it cause I can hammer ice with it and it doesn't shatter like a new one.
I used it at work for a decade to shovel a giant parking lot and then brought it home 8yrs ago when they sold the building. It's pretty beat. But with 45 minutes of work or so (including sharpening some drill bits). It should last another dozen years or so.
20220101_120931.jpg
I ground off the rivets, hammered everything flat, added a new steel strip, riveted it on, hammered the rivets flat on the anvil and sharpened it.
20220101_154950.jpg

A new coat of paint and some laquer on the handle and it'll be good as new.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I've been feeling like absolute hell for the last few days (NOT covid), but I did go and poke around the YJ a little to see how irritated I'll have to be if I have to change the CPS. Look like access is way better on YJs than XJ's, which is the only other thing I"ve had to change a CPS on. Not sure yet that's the problem, but I get no crank/no start when it's been driven a while and gets up to temp. Anyway I went back in and ordered fun stuff like boatsides and fullwidth kits. Engine can wait, I'm not driving this thing in the winter anyway. BAHAHAHAH

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I put in 14 hours in the shop today. Having a furnace is a great blessing. I think we topped out at 21 degrees outside. I was t shirt most the day inside.
Installed a hitch on the back of my dads BMW.
Replaced a faulty wheel bearing and 4x4 vacuum dilly wonky thing on my bothers f150 to get him 4x4 again.
And then spent a LOT of time trying to get my dump trailer in shape. 2 new tires, all new wiring, LED lighting, everything done in a junction box, etc. Didn't get it finished, and in reality it is less usable than before I started... but when I actually get it finished it will be sweet.

Until someone borrows it again.