General Tech What did you work on Today?

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Undercarriage prepped, painted and undercoated prior to final assembly.

Next step was to apply the Duplicolor Bedliner to the area that sparsely had undercoating,mainly the wheelwell areas.

Final assembly and little finishing touches.

We fabricated a small metal bracket that mounted to the passenger motor mount and then used an Adel clamp to hold the trans lines.

Overview of the driver’s side after paint, undercoat, bump-stop, limiting strap and steering gearbox all mounted and ready to accept the axle.

Passenger front.

Driver’s rear assembled. Axle installed, bump-stops, shocks and limiting straps.

Next on to the front axle. Ten Factory chromoly axle shafts at the ready.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Reid Racing knuckles installed.

Axle shafts in place along with dust shields prior to the unit bearing.

SKF unit bearing and ABS sensor installed and torqued in place.

Teraflex Big Brake rotors installed.

Tires mocked into place.

Here she is sitting back down on its tires/wheels for the first time in nearly four months. We put a floor jack under the front to see just how much of a spacer we need to get everything where we want it. Looks like a 1” spacer will do the trick.

Next was to come up with some bump stops and rear spring retainers.
I cut the aluminum for the front bump-stops.

One down, one to go. These will require minimal machining.

While I had the bandsaw going I also went ahead and cut two pieces .625” thick from a chunk of 6” diameter 6061 that I had. The rear doesn’t require much of a lower bumpstop so we decided to machine some lower spring retainers and have them serve double duty as lower bumpstops.

These really put my horizontal bandsaw yo the test but it did a nice job. I don’t think it would cut much larger diameter than this.

While the saw was cutting I machined two smaller pieces measuring 2.850” which is the inside diameter of the bottom of the rear coil springs. These will serve as a spacer/spring locator for the rear springs.

Here they are sitting in place. They measure about .125” lower than the spring diameter so I will machine a small step in the top portion of the spring retainer.

Machining the step on the spring retainer. This step will measure the same 2.850” diameter by .125” deep. The outside of the spring retainer was taken down to 5” diameter from the original 6”.

Parts ready for test fitment before cutting the upper retainer. I used a piece of cardboard to test and mark for final trimming.

Parts complete and ready for final assembly. The top part will capture the lower spring coil and sit firmly against the spacer.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Moving along to brake lines.

For brake lines we used an extended steel braided single line for an XJ (Cherokee) and ran it from the inside left framerail to the middle left rear axle truss where we drilled and tapped the truss to mount the “T” block. We then used extended rear brake lines for a JK/JKU and mounted the frame tabs on the truss outside corners. This will allow a nice low profile line to each caliper.

Next order of business was to get my 3/16” tubing bender out and my Mastercool flaring tool to form the rigid lines.

Left side rigid line complete.

Right side rigid line bent and forming the flair for the outside connection.

Right rear rigid line complete.

Front bumpstops being machined.

Then while I already had a messy lathe I machined the rear bump stops.

Rear bump stops installed on top of the spring retainers.

We then tackled connecting the emergency brakes and used the OEM brackets to secure them to the rear axle truss.
Next up was to cut the OEM wiring harness to the rear ABS sensors and solder on the new wires and connector. I ran the wires through some abrasive protection sheathing with some heat shrink at each end before plugging in the new JK ABS sensors.

Next ran them alongside the e-brake cables and secured them up and out of the way so they won’t snag on anything when off-road.

Rear end neatly buttoned up.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Lastly we turned out attention to the exhaust. I picked up a 10” long piece of 2.5” tubing that was expanded on one end for a slip fit and after mocking up we determined where it needed to be cut and then welded the tube into the Magnaflow muffler. I also picked up a 30-degree bend that we could bologna cut.

While I was at NAPA picking up the exhaust tubing I also scrounged through their exhaust isolators and found one that I thought would work and made a mount for it.

We then mocked it up one last time to determine location of mounting rod for engagement into the isolator. It was then welded in place and time for final assembly.

Final installation. We put just enough preload into the isolator to pull it taught and called it good, then installed a stainless steel band clamp at the front just behind the cats.

Last item before road test was to bleed the brakes. Then we installed tires and wheels and backed it away from the lift under its own power for the first time in four months.

While it was sitting on the shop floor we went through and bounced the suspension a bit listening for any interferences then tightened all of the suspension fasteners.

Prior to backing it out if the shop we set the toe and adjusted the drag link to center the steering wheel.
Pictures outside the shop after returning from the first road test.

That pretty much completes my son's Phase I of his 2004 WJ that took us a little over 3 months to complete.

Sorry for the long posts and all of the pictures, it's been a hell of a past several months. We have a couple months left of projects then I hope we can relax and do some playing this year.

I was going to post pictures up of my project but I think I will post them on my 2011 JKUR build thread instead. Please check the latest upgrade to my 2011 Jeep out.

Thanks for looking.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Dang Mike, impressive work and fabrication.... as always! Good to see you posting up on here again.
Thank you Greg. I appreciate that. Don't know why I've been absent as I don't have a good excuse just haven't been on this forum for a while.

Excellent ! Man, the quality of your work is outstanding.

I need to get my hands on a tubing bender like that Ridgid, how do you like it?
Thank you Brent, I appreciate that. Funny, you've been absent from garagejournal and I've been absent from RME. Who'da thunk it?

As for the tubing benders, I really like them. I have several of the Rigid benders and they work well and seem to be of good quality. I've only had them about 5 or so years but they seem to be holding up well, although there was a year plus in there where I was too busy building new shop and putting yard in that I didn't use any of my tools.

Thanks again for the comments guys. Please check out my 2011 Jeep build thread as I will be posting up some pictures of my new project in there.

Mike

nnnnnate

Good to see you back Mike. Seeing pictures of your shop again reminds me where the dreams of what mine might one day look like were based on.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Good to see you back Mike. Seeing pictures of your shop again reminds me where the dreams of what mine might one day look like were based on.
Thank you Nate. Glad to see you were able to move and hopefully it was a nice upgrade for ya although I know you were very proud of your yard as you should be, it was gorgeous. I know how much work moving is and how much it takes to get a new place whipped into shape so I wish you the best. I can say that I am glad my wife and I are in our "forever" home as I don't ever want to move again. I finally have my dream shop and home and don't ever want to go through that hassle ever again.

Awesome build and so much attention to detail. Love it.
Thanks Bart, I appreciate that.

Mike

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Damn, that thing needs it's own build thread. Quality work! :cool:
Thanks. I thought my son was going to post a build thread on it but he hasn't gotten around to it and doubt he will as he has so many other irons in the fire. I had to steal his thunder I guess.

Amazing work Mike. Your attention to detail is impressive. I'll bet it was fun to spend time with your son.
Thank you for the compliment. I love hanging out in the shop working with my son. Unfortunately those times are becoming less and less lately.

Mike

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
I made me some table covers for the mill so i don't beat up the table from putting tools on it and to keep those damn chips out of the t slots.

46463353_1971036406317973_9109221766156255232_n.jpg46449552_1971036456317968_1480917780361379840_n.jpg46407337_1971036496317964_8601876873120579584_n.jpg46456040_1971036526317961_4345013874135662592_n.jpg46399545_1971036562984624_6052428361169371136_n.jpg

Here is my old 13" South Bend lathe. Its from 1953 and was originally bought from South Bend by Salt Lake Hardware. You've seen the chip pan i made for i, now that my shop is moved around i made a little shelf for it out of an old shelf from a service truck.

46483043_1971039639650983_2763232317290840064_n.jpg
My little machining corner.
46414966_1971039749650972_4038328315570814976_n.jpg

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
I made me some table covers for the mill so i don't beat up the table from putting tools on it and to keep those damn chips out of the t slots.

View attachment 117480View attachment 117481View attachment 117482View attachment 117483View attachment 117484

Here is my old 13" South Bend lathe. Its from 1953 and was originally bought from South Bend by Salt Lake Hardware. You've seen the chip pan i made for i, now that my shop is moved around i made a little shelf for it out of an old shelf from a service truck.

View attachment 117485
My little machining corner.
View attachment 117486
Nice table covers for your mill. I thought long and hard about making some very similar out of aluminum for my mill but decided to use a neoprene rubber about 1/2" thick. Still sometimes waffle on whether I made the right choice or not. I like the rubber for setting things on but the aluminum would clean easier and not have hot metal chips stick to them as easily as the neoprene.

Mike

ricsrx

As i get older its harder to keep all the details of these builds in my head... now that im onto the wiring it is getting very frustrating to have to "re learn" how am going to wire it up...
but i like how it is turning out, i decided to run all the wiring on the out side of the engine compartment and have only the engine wiring come out from the cowl

20181211_093634.jpg20181212_103138.jpg20181227_122745.jpg20190105_090513.jpg