'96 Runner Build

4Runner

That suck because I already have 83. I didn't know about it. I think I found away of doing it. Stopped buy fat bobs and learned a little bit. What's your wheel base?

Did you use eaton elocker? Do you like that locker? I have heard they are not very good?

Last edited:

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
Wheel base is I think 109 or 110. The locker is actually the Auburn Ected. I don't know if I like it yet. I've only used it once! My dad runs a Eaton in his TJ and loves it. I like the idea of having a selectable locker without the worry of a compressor and air lines.

4Runner

Ya I am with you on that. I am getting ready to sas my wife's tacoma and it's her DD so I think with her driving it I want her to be able to drive in utah weather safely. I have never driven with a front locker but have a spool in my runner and it's not very easy to drive it. What springs did you use for the front. All I could see that you said about them is that they are 50"

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
So in order to take the scout camping in the Runner, I had to get it registered. I also realized that since I removed the front bumper that I had no front blinkers :no: So I improvised! I temporally mounted a couple LED strips that I picked up from Williams Offroad Lighting.

6njm.jpg

They work great during the day, but they are way to bright at night :lol: I talked to Brandon and he is going to get some amber ones on their way for me!!

I also had my first oil change since the pan swap and seafoam treatment. After 50ish miles I couldn't believe how black the oil was.

I did think of a couple other things that I need to address.

1. no speedometer. I need to find a speedo sensor from a Tacoma. The 3rd gen uses the ABS sensors and the Tacomas did not :?: :?:
2. Brakes worked much better, but I still want to have them power bled and see if I can get them back to where they were before.
3. Need to finish painting the frame and rear bumper. It is driving me nuts.
4. Steering is a little stiffer than I like. I am thinking next winter adding hydro assist. My dad can get a kit from the tractor shop for about 1/2 the price of the name brands and they work just as well.
5. I am getting a little noise from the 3/4 elliptical slapping the frame. I either need to put some rubber between them or fab a mount where I can lock it down while driving on the road.
6. Getting a little more sway than I like. I think locking down the elliptical and adding Hydro assist will help that but we shall see!!!
7. Need a full sized spare
8. Decide whether or not to pull out the spare mount in the cargo bay. It was actually pretty nice to be able to double layer the gear without having to pile it. I might try to find a way to put it in and out easily.

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
Took the Scouts out to Bubble Rock Friday night. Bubble rock is located about a mile directly south of Little Moab. It is used mostly for trail bikes, but the boys wanted to see the Runner in action so I figured why not!!

m7x5.jpg

q4aa.jpg

fruk.jpg

d95q.jpg

umf5.jpg

lrl2.jpg

ogt5.jpg

xm8o.jpg

cmdf.jpg

fcds.jpg

ih7s.jpg

a8gt.jpg

d5ij.jpg

9xb0.jpg

t5gm.jpg

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
GREAT NEWS, the brake problem has worked itself out!!! Apparently I just needed to drive it a little more. I drove it around for a couple of days and now they work like they should!! Either that or I got used to them being bad :busted:

ricsrx

Scout trips.. a blast when I was a juvenile delinquent, dreaded them as a leader... looks great!

blznnp

looks good man, why do you have to have it registered to take the scouts in it? as far as I know, they can't go on any quads or snowmobiles or dirt bikes. but as long as they are in a vehicle, they are fine. we are taking our scouts this summer down to st george/sand hallow for a week long and are planning on doing some wheelin, just need to find a few more seats for them.

I can understand on where you are coming from rick, luckily now I am a leader with some good kids so it makes it much better.

sixstringsteve

I'm guessing the BSA cares more about the vehicle being insured. I'm unsure what their policies are regarding scouts riding in an uninsured vehicle.

blznnp

i have been on a couple snowmobiling scout trips?
How long ago? I just know that when we have looked into it for quads, they don't allow it an from what we can tell, they don't want then doing anything along those lines or motorized.....vehicle. Unless it's in a actually vehicle. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, they are just looking out for themselves an being sued.

I ciuld understand the the insurance thing steve, forgot about that one.

STAG

On my grind
2012/13 winter was the most recent.

Also, to get this thread back on track, Thardy this runner is awesome, everything looks very clean and done right. That's the first time I've seen a shackle hanger configured like that, looks like it works!

heavy18

XJNation
Did you trailer the runner to the camp or drive it? If you drove I'm interested to hear how it feels at freeway speeds with that rear shackle setup.

sent from the jon

Rock Taco

5. I am getting a little noise from the 3/4 elliptical slapping the frame. I either need to put some rubber between them or fab a mount where I can lock it down while driving on the road.
6. Getting a little more sway than I like. I think locking down the elliptical and adding Hydro assist will help that but we shall see!!!

A friend of mine had something similar to your rear leaves and used one of these on each side to make it a little more stable on the road. You can loosen and slide back and forth on the frame to go from trail to on the road.

square-u-bolt.jpg

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
looks good man, why do you have to have it registered to take the scouts in it? as far as I know, they can't go on any quads or snowmobiles or dirt bikes. but as long as they are in a vehicle, they are fine. we are taking our scouts this summer down to st george/sand hallow for a week long and are planning on doing some wheelin, just need to find a few more seats for them.

I can understand on where you are coming from rick, luckily now I am a leader with some good kids so it makes it much better.

Holy cow I haven't checked this site for a while!!

@blznnp The reason I had to register it is because I drove it there. One of the other scout leaders is a sheriff so I thought I better drive it legally!

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
How long ago? I just know that when we have looked into it for quads, they don't allow it an from what we can tell, they don't want then doing anything along those lines or motorized.....vehicle. Unless it's in a actually vehicle. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, they are just looking out for themselves an being sued.

I ciuld understand the the insurance thing steve, forgot about that one.

In the past we have been able to take the older scouts (14-18) on snowmobiles and quads but they couldn't drive.

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
As far as the stability it does get a bit of a sway around 50ish. At first I thought it was the steering but I think it is actually the rear suspension. I think I am going to try a set up like Rock Taco suggested. Oh and new tires is on the list. These things won't balance worth a crap!!!!! I don't know whats worse the sway or the shake!!

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
Had a little time to work on the Runner today! Got a couple odds and ends buttoned up.

One issue we had with the SAS was the E-brake cable. We had to tie it up with a bungie cord to give it room to move yet not rub on the drive line. I got an extension spring to use more permanent

Then I clamped down my rear springs. It will be interesting to see if that helps with the sway. I just used a cheap u-bolt for now. If it does what I want it to then I will spend a little more and get something a little more HD.

Last but not least I finished my tire carrier!!!! I guess all but the paint on the bumper!