Coronavirus

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Kevin B. said:
I don't know what shape it's going to take, but we're too far out of whack, there's too much power concentrated in too few hands and those hands are working hard to concentrate it farther. It's not a tenable situation. There's a Big Reset coming. It could be an economic crash, it could be a Constitutional Convention, it could be World War Three, it could be riots and a fallen US government or it could be open rebellion. It could be in the next five years or it could be fifty years out. Dunno. But it's coming.

Me thinks, the storm is here.

Oct 2017, POTUS with heads of US Military and wives
storm.jpg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
You guys don't get enough appreciation for keeping the supply lines up and running. Thanks for what you do, and I hope you are carrying.
I mean, I wouldn't say I'm carrying... But I can legally say I'm ready for "Dual Wielding" a tire-thumper and a chaining tool. No pics of the other pews.

Attachments

• 904E82B4-0561-4262-8D9E-DC84AC0E94B7.jpeg
    904E82B4-0561-4262-8D9E-DC84AC0E94B7.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 23

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
So went to the store this morning for the weekly pickup. Little busy, cleaning supplies are raided. Fair amount of TP, nearly fully stocked bottled water. Plenty of rice and beans, fully stocked meat. Guess the panic hasn't hit here yet. I'm going to get myself some food from costco when they open to weather the storm if it hits here as I am on an island.
IMG_7551.JPG

RockChucker

Critical thinking and logic has completely left. All the sheep are just following the other sheep.

e486a1bc42f499fda38ab43d626ac127.jpg

Houndoc

Sucks for sure. Trump is trying to get a stimulus passed that would cover lost wages of those affected by coronavirus. While that is some light at the end of the tunnel, I fear the only way it would truly be effective is if it were readily available since most do not have much savings.

The panic in the US is what is leveraging these events to cancel; it's unreal. A colleague in Hubei Prov (think Wuhan) who has been in lock-down for 3 months asked me last night, "why all the panic when it's just like the flu?"

Few things there I think need correction.

Not wanting to get overly political, but last I heard Trump's solution to the economic impact was a payroll tax reduction, which is plain stupid. It obviously does nothing for those who are not working either because they are out sick (generally short term, so really not going to be a huge impact on the economy) or those who loose their jobs in an economic down turn. And trying to encourage people to spend more money when we are being pushed/encouraged to avoid crowds is not going to do much to help.

As for the COVID being "like the flu" that is really not accurate beyond the fact they both cause respiratory symptoms.

While influenza kills far more people year in and year out than the new corona virus has even sickened this year, from an epidemiology standpoint the situations are very, very different and the risk for a massive outbreak is much higher anytime the agent (be it bacterial or viral) is new. Many of us have some baseline immunity to the flu from past exposure or vaccination, which slows the spread of the infection.

When a new infectious agent spreads, no one has immunity so it can spread very quickly and with devastating results (Italy is a great example).

It is hard to say if the current steps are an over reaction or not, but ignoring it or calling it 'flu like' isn't the correct response either.

Personally, I hope the situation stabilizes quickly both for the sake of all our local businesses and so they reopen Uganda to US travelers before my scheduled trip next month.

JeeperG

My dentist office called and woke me up this morning cause my scheduled cleaning was today, I answered thinking they where gonna cancel, no they asked if I wanted to come in earlier, I asked them, "why is everyone canceling? They said "Yes". Quickest I've ever been in and out of there. Girl cleaning my grill also mentioned how they had masks and toilet paper stolen from them recently.

Every grocery store I drove by was a sea of cars, I'm definitely not going to any grocers any time soon. I'll be out in the garage playing with the old Ford later if anyone wants to stop by and drink a beer.

Pike2350

Work has decided to limit hours. They are seeing a slow down in the sales/new orders...and exp3ct with the panic it will be this way for a few weeks up to 90 days....assuming things level out by then. They are pushing work from home and are limiting hours of non-essential people. Current jobs will finish out as normal.

This slows down some plans for me....and gives me a little free time....not enough to really enjoy unfortunately. Also, my daughters school (private catholic) is shut down until 3/31 and it's not even spring break.....so it will be closed for 3 weeks out of the next 5. That means even more time off work to tend a kid