Door-slammer CYJ7+1 buggy

xtremexj

Finally have a bit more to show that I wanted to close out 2011 with. :D I've always liked the look of tube fenders but also the high clearance hoods like Campbell's or 4WS. I was originally going to order up a hood but the freight is rediculous to Canada - like $250-$300. Also, I was a bit worried about having no protection for the fiberglass hood in the event of a rollover. So, I started to do some internet browsing and different types of tube fenders that weren't too over the top and came across TNT Customs Phantom fenders and decided I liked the look of them. I still wanted a high clearance design so I combined the two ideas and came up with something that I thought looked really good. Let me know what you think! I still need to plate the top of the fenders but I'll do that next year. ;)

Attachments

• juggy64.jpg
    juggy64.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 41
  • juggy65.jpg
    juggy65.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 40
  • juggy66.jpg
    juggy66.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 39
  • juggy67.jpg
    juggy67.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

xtremexj

Just a couple more from the side that give you a look at how they are cut up into the hood - I gained just under 2" of extra clearance. I built a make shift filler panel to give a better idea of what the finished product will look like.

Happy New Year and a great 2012 to everyone!!

Attachments

• juggy68.jpg
    juggy68.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 60
  • juggy69.jpg
    juggy69.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 61

xtremexj

Sorry guys, I haven't touched the buggy since January. :( I was at the point that I needed a drivetrain and didn't have the money to spend on it. I did get the rear diff out of the XJ and mocked up under the back end. I picked up an Isuzu D44 for the back of the XJ and I have a Waggy D44 to go under the front. I plan to get the XJ back in the garage in the next few weeks and get the front diff out and under the buggy and then start getting the Waggy front under the XJ. Once that is done, the XJ will go back for sale and hopefully fund the rest of the build. Keep your fingers crossed.:)

Due to the fact that I didn't have anything to wheel, I made a bunch of mods to my F350 so the wife and I could do some more back country camping and mountain biking. Went from a 2" to a 4" lift, put on some 35s, built a front winch bumper and rear bumper with tire carrier. I may post some pics of that just so everyone doesn't think that I just sat on my butt all summer.:greg:

Thanks for staying interested and I promise updates will come!!

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
...Due to the fact that I didn't have anything to wheel, I made a bunch of mods to my F350 so the wife and I could do some more back country camping and mountain biking. Went from a 2" to a 4" lift, put on some 35s, built a front winch bumper and rear bumper with tire carrier. I may post some pics of that just so everyone doesn't think that I just sat on my butt all summer.:greg:

:thumbs:

xtremexj

Sorry, I forgot about putting up some pics of the mods to my F350.

Attachments

• bumper13.jpg
    bumper13.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 14
  • bumper11.jpg
    bumper11.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 15
  • bumper12.jpg
    bumper12.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 14
  • tireswheels2.jpg
    tireswheels2.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 22

xtremexj

And a couple of the rear - I don't seem to have any with the tire carrier mounted.

Attachments

• rear1.jpg
    rear1.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 13
  • rear2.jpg
    rear2.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 12
  • rear3.jpg
    rear3.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 12

xtremexj

Went out wheeling with a couple buddies on the weekend of Oct.13th to test out one of the guys freshly finished buggies. Crazy guy was talking about selling it so I urged him to finish off the last few things so we could get him out. The plan was to get him excited as well as get me reinvigorated to get back on mine. Tony was so happy you couldn't have smacked the smile off his face with a 2x4.:rofl:

Specs:
- 4-seater
- 116" wheel base, 26" belly, 78" tall
- 43" TSL-SX on beadlocks (1/2" plate centers!!)
- 360ci full roller, FAST FI, 450hp
- TH400, 203-205 doubler
- D60, D70, 5.13s and Detroits

Couple of clean pics:

Attachments

• 005a.jpg
    005a.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 006a.jpg
    006a.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

xtremexj

And now the dirty pictures. :greg: They had about 6" of snow followed by rain earlier in the week so it was a little sloppy as you can see. Just below freezing in the AM and then up to about 50 by early afternoon. The 3rd pic shows me ducking for cover from the 5lbs chunks of mud coming off the tires after he lit them up.:eek:

Attachments

• Kyles017.JPG
    Kyles017.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Kyles018.jpg
    Kyles018.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Kyles021.jpg
    Kyles021.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Kyles022.jpg
    Kyles022.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 32

xtremexj

UPDATES!!!

It's been a long time coming but I've found some motivation again and started to get some stuff happening. :D Got the diffs mocked up under the chassis finally. I've had the rear in since the spring but didn't take any pics because there's just no room at the moment. A couple of weekends ago I yanked the front out of the XJ and spent a few hours wrestling it into place. Once I got it placed under the chassis, I found that I hadn't taken into accout how high my steering linkage was when I built the original grill assembly. So I ended up cutting about 6" out of the grill hoop to make the space I needed. At the same time, I realized from my wheeling trip a few weekends ago that I needed more grill protection for the type of trail wheeling we do most of the time. I had an idea in my head from something I had seen at one time and started looking for pics of it. Once I found what I was looking for, I drew it up in BendTech Pro. Unfortunately, I can't get to my bender at the moment due to the two imobile projects in my garage, so I asked my buddy Tony if he had any tubing and some time for me to come by and bend up a few pieces. The new grill hoop assembly is all 1.75" instead of my 1.625", but the price was right and you can't tell the difference unless you're looking really hard. I used the cutting wraps for the first time for the complex notches and they worked AWESOME!!! I can't believe how much time they save from the cut-fit-cut-fit method. Anyhow, on to the pics. :greg:

Attachments

• juggy70.jpg
    juggy70.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 40
  • juggy71.jpg
    juggy71.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 42